Author Topic: Repeated Though Tempory (with repeated refresh) 508 errors.  (Read 18955 times)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Re: Repeated Though Tempory (with repeated refresh) 508 errors.
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 10:54:59 PM »
Sorry guys, I am still working on it. Unfortunately due to the nature of DDoS attacks it's difficult to stop this from happening. The attacks come from multiple points, and even when I block them they just spring up again from another location. They also don't advertise themselves as attacks... they look like ordinary website traffic... just a lot of it.

At this point I am blocking Russian and Chinese IP addresses on sight. The attacks are coming from the United States and Europe as well, but I'm nervous about blocking IP addresses from those areas because I might accidentally block legitimate users.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Grashtel

• Venus
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 01:16:57 AM »
Have you looked at the option of using CloudFlare or similar protection services?
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it." -Florence Ambrose

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 07:40:30 AM »
Sorry guys, I am still working on it. Unfortunately due to the nature of DDoS attacks it's difficult to stop this from happening. The attacks come from multiple points, and even when I block them they just spring up again from another location. They also don't advertise themselves as attacks... they look like ordinary website traffic... just a lot of it.

At this point I am blocking Russian and Chinese IP addresses on sight. The attacks are coming from the United States and Europe as well, but I'm nervous about blocking IP addresses from those areas because I might accidentally block legitimate users.
What is DDoS?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 09:23:50 AM »
Sorry guys, I am still working on it. Unfortunately due to the nature of DDoS attacks it's difficult to stop this from happening.
What is DDoS?

Sorry, bknight. DDoS stands for "Distributed Denial of Service".

DDoS attacks try to take websites offline by overwhelming their server with too much traffic. And instead of an attack coming from one location it is being spread out amongst many computers (usually computers that have been hijacked by malware). And like I said in my previous post, the real difficulty with these kinds of attacks is that they look like ordinary website traffic, so it's difficult to recognize which traffic is legitimate and which is part of the attack.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:13 AM »
Have you looked at the option of using CloudFlare or similar protection services?

Yeah, I added CloudFlare on February 23. It has helped a bit, I think, and it helps me determine where the attacks are coming from. I also added it to my other website (TheSpaceRace.com) which shares the same server.