Author Topic: 9/11 Thread for advancedboy  (Read 25116 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: 9/11 Thread for advancedboy
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 04:31:37 PM »
I know that Vincent Bugliosi (one of the good Vincents!) has been saying for years that one of the ways he was prepared to fight an insanity defense in the Manson case was by pointing out places where they took actions to evade detection.  An insane person will not cut telephone lines, was his premise.  The fact is, lawyers can't get into defendants' heads.  Even if prosecutors are permitted to have the defendant given a psychological examination, that is necessarily of very limited scope.  (Sanity and competence.)  All legal determination of motive is a guess, and just because a jury doesn't believe a prosecutor about intent doesn't necessarily mean they won't convict.  If they don't believe the prosecutor about intent, they cannot convict.  Using Occam's Razor might help work out intent, but its failure with motive shows that it isn't foolproof when it comes to human emotion.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 02:09:43 AM »
just because a jury doesn't believe a prosecutor about intent doesn't necessarily mean they won't convict.
Did you mean to say "believe a prosecutor about motive"?

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 01:53:52 PM »
I did, yes.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 02:15:49 AM »
I thought the "Truther" movement was pretty much dead, but over at the Unexplained Mysteries board they're still going at it hot and heavy about thermite, R/C planes, molten metal, and so on. I'm beginning to believe that some people would have no sense of self left if they gave up on their HB beliefs; it's become almost like a religion to them.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 06:13:54 AM »
Perhaps more like a self imposed cult than a religion.  Lord knows the JFK nutters are still with us after all these years, so I imagine that the Truthers will be around in 50 years.  It is just to big of an event to let it pass without applying whatever is driving the conspiratorial mindset to the event.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 06:01:27 PM »
As it happens, my opinion about JFK is that he was shot by a lone nutjob. But I'll admit that it's at least physically possible that there was more to it. Who knows? JFK had made some powerful enemies during his tenure and maybe there were other shooters waiting along the route. I don't consider it outside the realm of possibility.

But most of these (Apollo HBs, 9/11 Truthers, etc) can't even propose a coherent picture of what such a conspiracy would look like without making totally impossible assumptions. They just leave me scratching my head.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 07:27:08 PM »
Still no sign of advancedboy - has anyone invited him to participate?
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2012, 04:20:28 PM »
Still no sign of advancedboy - has anyone invited him to participate?
Sorry, advancedboy bailed, because nobody would play his game.

ETA: Homer has not forgiven you.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:22:07 PM by Abaddon »