Author Topic: The Biden Presidency  (Read 31643 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: The Biden Presidency
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2021, 12:40:34 PM »
Yeah, the Cabinet looks pretty solid if nothing else.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2021, 02:23:09 PM »
My observation has been that you get the best success from hiring good people, giving them what they ask for, and staying out of their way.  I also have high hopes for the Cabinet, especially Garland as attorney general.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2021, 11:48:12 AM »
I'm having the kids watch the inauguration.  Simon's starting class, which is TV off time, but this is important.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2021, 11:49:35 AM »
Done.

With that one word, a telegraph operator on a desolate plain in Utah signaled the uniting of the country via railroad.  I'm using it here in much the same way.  Joseph Biden is now the President of the United States.  Along the way, we saw the Pledge of Allegiance signed in ASL by a uniformed woman of color. This is the America I want.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2021, 01:04:04 PM »
Congratulations. Now for the cleanup.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2021, 01:18:08 PM »
Done.

With that one word, a telegraph operator on a desolate plain in Utah signaled the uniting of the country via railroad.  I'm using it here in much the same way.  Joseph Biden is now the President of the United States.  Along the way, we saw the Pledge of Allegiance signed in ASL by a uniformed woman of color. This is the America I want.

And a Latino entertainer speaking Spanish during the inauguration.

Isnt it refreshing for America to have a First Lady who spent her life educating and improving the lives of others rather than trying to hook the richest douche-bag by flaunting her genitals in magazines?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2021, 03:22:48 PM »
Congratulations to Doug for breaking the glass ceiling for men everywhere.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2021, 03:50:24 PM »
I'm told Twitter has bestowed upon him the privileged moniker @SecondGentleman.  I have a bottle of champagne that's been chilling in the fridge since November.  'Twill be opened tonight, after work.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2021, 03:53:04 PM »
I'm told Twitter has bestowed upon him the privileged moniker @SecondGentleman.  I have a bottle of champagne that's been chilling in the fridge since November.  'Twill be opened tonight, after work.

Don't you mean freedom sparkling wine?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2021, 06:19:53 PM »
Well, it's Moët & Chandon, whatever that turns out to be in properly fair-trade-recognized nomenclature.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2021, 06:24:30 PM »
Well, it's Moët & Chandon, whatever that turns out to be in properly fair-trade-recognized nomenclature.

Oh, the GOOD stuff!

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2021, 06:31:06 PM »
And a Latino entertainer speaking Spanish during the inauguration.

Isnt it refreshing for America to have a First Lady who spent her life educating and improving the lives of others rather than trying to hook the richest douche-bag by flaunting her genitals in magazines?
Eh, I'm not going to disparage her for doing adult material. I am going to for many things, but not that.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2021, 07:39:14 PM »

That checks out. Proper champagne.

I for one had a lovely madras from my local with proper naan. It wasn't a celebratory thing. I didn't go shopping today because the weather is terrible so my dinner plans were thrown out.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2021, 10:30:34 AM »
They do have their American subsidiary Domaine de Chandon in Napa Valley, California.  Well worth a trip to their "sparkling wine" winery, and dinner at l'Etoile restaurant there.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2021, 10:38:52 AM »
Done.

I have a friend whose daughter is hearing-impaired, and I messaged my friend immediately about that.  Four years ago, there'd been someone signing in a Hillary Clinton commercial, and my friend's daughter used that as part of an impassioned plea to her father as to why voting for Clinton was so important.  I suspect Jennifer Lopez spoke Spanish up there not because it was planned but because she could, with the full support of the people there.

Meanwhile, in actual getting things done, I feel like the Biden executive orders about the pandemic have just been mostly "we have been begging for this since March."  That it's still a relief . . . tells you something.

We had steak last night.