Author Topic: Flat Earth  (Read 54780 times)

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
Re: Flat Earth
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2018, 03:34:01 AM »
I've had the bizarre experience of looking at Malé from a distance, which appeared to be a city floating on top of the ocean.  However, I'm not quite ready to claim this as evidence for the earth's curvature yet, for the reason you cite (and maybe other reasons, I haven't thought about it too hard).
That sounds like the "Fata Morgana" mirage.  I've seen it a few times when the conditions are just right.  It's an atmospheric effect which does indeed let you see over the horizon.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2018, 08:28:01 AM »
And now apparently FE-ism is getting enough traction in the community that it rated a mention on last week's episode of The Last Leg (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Leg)

Offline BDL

• Venus
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2018, 02:47:00 PM »
Usually when Flat Earth Conspiracists try to convince me the earth is flat, I usually ask them these questions:
1. Why do craters exist?
2. Why is the curvature measurable and visible?
3. Why do we have meteorites?
4. Why do we have moon rocks?
5. Why is the exterior shape of the ISS clearly visible through a telescope?
6. How is it that every Astrophysicist, Astronomer, Space Agency Employee, etc. has been lying to you for several hundred years? Surely that’s way too many conspirators.
7. Why is it that the stars have been recorded to have been in an entirely different position in ancient times?
8. Why do iridium flares exist?
9 What reason would all these governments and all these scientists have to lie?
10. Why are asteroids often visible with a telescope?
11. What about matter merely existing would force it downwards if not for gravity?
12. Why can Mercury be seen in front of the sun?
13. Why are the rotation of constellations only consistent with a spheroid earth?
14. What happens with a solar eclipse?
15. What happens with a lunar eclipse?
16. If the moon is so close then why can we only see the same side of the moon regardless of where we are on earth?
17. What exactly keeps the sun and the moon in a constant and perfect rotation?
18. Why is Polaris not seen from Australia?
19. Why does Polaris change its position slightly so often?
20. Why do sunsets exist?
21. Why are objects travelling toward the horizon not observed to be shrinking smaller and smaller, but instead travel over the curve?
22. Why does night time exist? The sun is observed to be spherical, and should therefore emit light in all direction and not act like a spotlight.
23. Why are comets clearly visible even with the naked eye?
24. What are shooting stars?
25. Why was the Antarctic ice wall never recorded?
26. How exactly is there so many people guarding this apparent ice wall?
27. How does the Coriolis Effect work on a flat earth?
28. Why do Jupiter’s moons only orbit Jupiter?
29. Why are planets observed to be exactly what NASA and all those other scientists said it was?
30. What are stars even made of?
31. Why are plane rides to Antarctica approved for anyone who has money?
32. Why do engineers have to account for the curvature of earth when creating long bridges?
33. Why is it that mathematically measurable distances fail on a flat earth?
34. How exactly do lunar phases make sense on a flat earth?
35. Why do Super Blue Blood Moons happen?
36. There’s a phenomena that happens in Hawaii that has the shadows completely vertical. When measuring the shadow angles in different places at this same time you get results only consistent with a spheroid earth. Why is this?
37. Why exactly do you believe the earth has to be flat but not every other planet?
38. Why is it that no flat earther is an actual scientist and why does every flat earther get basic science wrong?

There’s a ton more of these I can come up, but I think this is sufficient for now.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:45:07 PM by BDL »
“One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong, 1969

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2018, 03:15:42 PM »
Usually when Flat Earth Conspiracists try to convince me the moon landings were faked or the earth is flat, I usually ask them these questions:

Why are you such a moron?

I've taken the liberty of amending your worthwhile post to more accurately reflect my technique. I find that it gets exactly the same results with the added benefit that I have to spend far far less time conversing with anyone imbecilic enough to believe in FE.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2018, 12:28:41 PM »
I'm sure insulting people is helpful to actually convincing anyone.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2018, 04:11:01 PM »

24. What are shooting stars?

And why are you more likely to see one after midnight?

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2018, 05:39:09 PM »

No point in trying to convince anyone that wilfully believes such bunkum. They can get in the sea along with the anti-vaxxers and homoeopaths.

Man, this planet really, REALLY needs a Golgafrincham Ark Fleet ship.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2018, 06:20:52 PM »

No point in trying to convince anyone that wilfully believes such bunkum. They can get in the sea along with the anti-vaxxers and homoeopaths.

Do you really want to chance an infection from a dirty telephone? 😂😂
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2018, 07:13:12 PM »

They sure have no problem insulting us.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2018, 09:23:42 PM »

I agree, so long as all the spare space in the cargo hold is filled chock-full with tins of telephone sanitiser!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2018, 10:58:10 PM »

Whoosh as this one went right over my head.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2018, 02:47:45 AM »
After doing the morning rounds of the various news sources I fear that we will need more than one Ark Fleet ship..... :(

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2018, 03:20:39 AM »

Whoosh as this one went right over my head.

A reference to "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Golgafrincham
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2018, 09:39:19 AM »
Never watched "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", thanks.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline bobdude11

• Venus
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2018, 12:48:12 PM »
Never watched "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", thanks.
Read the book first ... I feel the series did do it some justice, but the book is awesome!
Robert Clark -
CISSP, MISM, MCSE and some other alphabet certifications.
I am moving to Theory ... everything works in Theory
"Everybody remember where we parked." James Tiberius Kirk, Captain, U.S.S. Enterprise