Author Topic: For Viewers in the UK...  (Read 7330 times)

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
For Viewers in the UK...
« on: March 16, 2013, 06:05:06 PM »
... BBC2 are showing The Challenger on Monday - Tom Hurt as Richard Feynman...
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
Re: For Viewers in the UK...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 12:46:14 PM »
That's William Hurt. ;)

Thank goodness for cable...
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:46:58 AM »
D'Oh! ;)
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »
I just finished watching this, and very enjoyable it was.

Having been party to some emails in the Project Apollo Yahoo group, I know some individuals close to it all are very angry indeed with NASA's managers at the time. I now have a better understanding of why that is.

I also think it interesting that one informed and intelligently inquiring individual, albeit with the tacit help of a few key individuals, was able to the blow the whistle on actual secretive cover-ups in NASA, cover-ups not faking or hiding a major event, but in masking a small but ultimately significant detail of an actual event.

It's indicative to me of the extreme unlikelihood of anyone actually hiding a fake Apollo mission from anyone.

Good film - wouldn't have spotted it without the heads up here, so thanks :)

Offline armillary

• Mercury
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 06:37:28 PM »
Good show, thanks for the heads-up. I don't normally watch TV, but this was well worth my time.

I haven't read his book about his experiences from the investigation, but many other writings. He remains one of my personal idols.

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:45:16 PM »
That was a lot more cloak-and-dagger than I was expecting.

Well, cloak anyway...

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 06:54:02 PM »
Yes, that was pretty well done. I've seen some old interviews with Feynman, and I think Hurt did a very good job portraying him. I didn't realize that Gen. Kutnya had finally revealed his anonymous astronaut source to be Dr. Sally Ride, after her death (this was shown in the "where are they now" slides at the end of the film).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:56:05 PM by BazBear »
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 08:12:59 PM »
Did this documentary cover the unlikely friendship between Kutnya and Feynmann that led to discovering the O-ring problem?

• Earth
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 09:22:44 PM »
Did this documentary cover the unlikely friendship between Kutnya and Feynmann that led to discovering the O-ring problem?
It is a docu-drama and yes.

It shows how the general dragged Feynman to the Pentagon to show him documents that explain the reason NASA was so obsessed with maintaining the launch schedule.
This pissed off Feynman, who didn't like to be burdened with info he wouldn't be able to discuss publicly.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 09:57:04 PM »

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 11:03:18 PM »
Here's what I thought was a very good documentary about Fenyman (BBC Horizon), with numerous interview clips with the late professor, as well as family, friends, colleagues etc. The Challenger stuff starts at about 1:12:40 (it's a fairly long doc, 1:35+).
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »
There was certainly a large amount of hatchet involved.

When Kutnya was explaining to Feynman the political importance of STS in the Pentagon to be all secret and cloaky, wasn't that information already known? I thought it was public knowledge that the Space Shuttle was used to launch military satellites.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 12:01:20 PM »
There was certainly a large amount of hatchet involved.

When Kutnya was explaining to Feynman the political importance of STS in the Pentagon to be all secret and cloaky, wasn't that information already known? I thought it was public knowledge that the Space Shuttle was used to launch military satellites.

Yeah. The failure of the STS to live up to its promised launch schedule was one of the media's major talking points even before the Challenger disaster.