Author Topic: Which side of the LM was Armstrong on?  (Read 3229 times)

Offline cos

• Venus
Which side of the LM was Armstrong on?
« on: September 08, 2020, 06:28:27 PM »
I was looking at a VR presentation of the Apolo 11 landing. It was quite impressive. You were in Buzz Aldrin's seat and could see everything from his perspective. The only thing was that Armstrong was on my right and I think the commander had the left hand seat. I might be wrong. Anyone know?

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: Which side of the LM was Armstrong on?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 03:13:20 AM »
I was looking at a VR presentation of the Apolo 11 landing. It was quite impressive. You were in Buzz Aldrin's seat and could see everything from his perspective. The only thing was that Armstrong was on my right and I think the commander had the left hand seat. I might be wrong. Anyone know?

Armstrong (Mission Commander) stood in the Captain's position on the left (if the LM had seats, he would have been flying "Left Seat").
Buzz Aldrin (LM Pilot) was on the right, in the co-pilot's position.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 03:55:18 AM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 03:25:54 PM »
The LPD was also etched on the Window on the left which also tells you it was the commanders position.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 06:03:04 PM »
The LPD was also etched on the Window on the left which also tells you it was the commanders position.

Yes.

Here is a very good Apollo 12 graphic description and simulation from the EagleLander3D game visually showing the LPD and how it worked.

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 12:12:35 AM »
It was an amazingly simple device... for the crew.