Author Topic: A few simple questions for conspiracy theorists  (Read 270732 times)

Offline frenat

• Mars
Re: A few simple questions for conspiracy theorists
« Reply #345 on: February 05, 2015, 02:14:23 PM »
I've been kicked off a few times too.  Apparently there is a secret list of websites you should never post or you'll be insta-banned but they never bother to tell you those sites.  I just don't post links anymore. 
I also think they occasionally ban random users to try to extort them to pay for a membership.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Humots

• Mercury
« Reply #346 on: February 05, 2015, 05:38:23 PM »
I just search for "Moon."

Yes -- that is the secret that so befuddles IDW and the like, who think I have top-secret NASA software tracking all their posts. I just drop by every few weeks when I'm really bored, and search for "Moon."

Did you search body, thread title, or some other way?

Either way, I get a list that is devoid of IDW in any of the incarnations I know.

I usually search on the user name: Interdimensional Warrior, IDW, Anonymous Astrophysicist, AA but I haven't turned up anything by him posted today.
"It's not the things we don't know that hurt us, It's the things we do know that aren't so.”  --Artemus Ward

“It never ceases to amaze me how utterly unintelligent a person can be and still believe they are somehow accomplishing something.”  --Interdimensional Warrior

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #347 on: February 05, 2015, 05:59:47 PM »
He is being more and more careful. But he hasn't figured out the thing he really needs to do is lay off the profanity and race-baiting -- those are what gets his posts deleted.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2015, 07:16:55 PM »
He is being more and more careful. But he hasn't figured out the thing he really needs to do is lay off the profanity and race-baiting -- those are what gets his posts deleted.
Nothing doing. Post a link, I am disinclined to spend too much time in that cesspit.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #349 on: February 05, 2015, 07:21:18 PM »
There are a few post from him today here
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2682209/pg20
but without a name.  I haven't found anything along the lines of "several long rambling posts at GLP where he describes his great victory over the nest of liars here. Boring even the locals there, who basically ignored him." but I'd like to see them.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #350 on: February 05, 2015, 08:53:14 PM »
Mod action there tends to be retroactive; they delete all posts made from the same IP. So his more reasonable (if not actually, you know, employing actual reasoning) posts may have gotten caught in the garbage collection.  He's annoyed enough mods there to be basically shoot-on-sight.

Offline Northern Lurker

• Earth
« Reply #351 on: February 06, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »
Hi again

Thanks for the warm welcome  :)

I hope you are well RAF. I had the whole trinity (colonoscopy, gastroscopy and stomach area ultrasound) in January.

Here is funny and pretty accurate description of said procedure http://singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns/ (contains toilet humour, you are warned  ;D )

Lurky

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #352 on: February 06, 2015, 04:53:55 PM »
Hi again

Thanks for the warm welcome  :)

I hope you are well RAF. I had the whole trinity (colonoscopy, gastroscopy and stomach area ultrasound) in January.

Here is funny and pretty accurate description of said procedure http://singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns/ (contains toilet humour, you are warned  ;D )

Lurky

Ahh..Agent Picolax. One of the funniest threads to ever hit the Interwebs  ;D
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #353 on: February 06, 2015, 05:34:25 PM »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #354 on: February 12, 2015, 04:51:16 PM »
Kicked off GLP again. For tweaking IDW's tail.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #355 on: February 14, 2015, 03:32:18 AM »

You're a very naughty boy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #356 on: February 14, 2015, 09:14:39 AM »
Were you told that was the reason?  Because the mods don't typically care about that.

The only things I've seen get people banned are threats of violence, excessive vulgarity and racism, posting links to banned sites (autoban that takes effect immediately before the post even gets posted.  As far as I can tell only the mods know all the  sites that are banned.  Above Top Secret and JREF are definitely two of them) and the supposed random ISP bans where they claim to block a range of IPs due to attacks on the forum.  I personally think most of their bans are designed to extort money by trying to force people into paid memberships.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #357 on: February 15, 2015, 07:14:16 AM »

The only things I've seen get people banned are threats of violence, excessive vulgarity and racism,

How does IDW get away with not being banned?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #358 on: February 15, 2015, 07:24:11 AM »

How does IDW get away with not being banned?

A good question. But I think, he shouldn't be banned. He has something of a comedic approach, because each single post makes me laugh. And on the other hand he shows precisely, how supporting the hoax idea doesn't work.
Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #359 on: February 15, 2015, 07:43:15 AM »
A good question. But I think, he shouldn't be banned. He has something of a comedic approach, because each single post makes me laugh. And on the other hand he shows precisely, how supporting the hoax idea doesn't work.

That's how I feel, providing standards of decency are not compromised. For example, LO posted that a member was banned here for trying to post images of the Boston bombing victims. Clearly not in good taste.

With awe130 and Romulus, the longer they were allowed to post, the more it exposed how ludicrous they were. I think all of us were adult enough and smart enough to rebuff petty insults. I am of the opinion that as long as those insults remain petty and we can continue cross examination of claims then it shows their ilk for what they are. It really is about us being gracious and ignoring 'slanderous' remarks. I do on occasions resort to sarcasm, but that's me (and yes, I do sometimes get on my high horse about Blunder, but after his threats toward me I kind of get a little bit agitated when I hear his name.)

Even when the postings get more extreme I don't think it should be an immediate ban hammer. I give a perfect example of what happened on British TV where Nick Griffin was invited onto BBC Question Time. Nick Griffin is a British Nationalist. There was a huge debate whether he should be allowed to speak on BBC. I for one thought it was a no brainer as it would show him for the bigot he was. Sure enough, he was outed as being an absurd little man and support for the BNP dwindled after his appearance.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:44:52 AM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch