Off Topic > General Discussion

Photogrammetry help

<< < (2/2)

Chew:
Crap! I forgot NGA put all the formulae online! Nautical Calculators

Which is just as well because the formula has an error in it. The square root bar should cover the entire formula, otherwise you will square the first part then take its square root.

Kiwi:

--- Quote from: Chew on March 07, 2012, 12:59:45 PM ---I forgot NGA put all the formulae online! Nautical Calculators

Which is just as well because the formula has an error in it. The square root bar should cover the entire formula, otherwise you will square the first part then take its square root.
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that link and the correction.  I've downloaded all the formulae because they will help with my studies of Abel Tasman and James Cook, and there might be some that will be useful for astronomy and satellite sightings.  Some historians don't take into account what people like Tasman and Cook might have seen as they approached an uncharted land as it slowly appeared above the horizon, particularly down south here where the air is probably much clearer than in northern latitudes.  I've seen claims that they would have sighted low-lying coasts before seeing the tops of mountains further inland, when in fact it's more likely to be the other way round.

Oh, right, I forgot. You're still in the Stone Age down there.

Nah!  The fibre optic cables run under the lawn outside my front gate, but getting connected to them has more to do with living near the bottom of the socio-economic heap since becoming an invalid in 1989.  :-)

It took two attempts to download The American Practical Navigator, but eventually it came roaring down the wires at around 40 kb per second, a massive improvement over dialup's 2.3 - 3.2 kb/sec.  Thanks for that - it's far more detailed than anything else I have.

Chew:
What are you studying about Cook and Tasman?

Some of Cook's charts of the South Pacific are still used today. All that has been updated is sounding data and chart datum.

Kiwi:

--- Quote from: Chew on March 07, 2012, 10:29:11 PM ---What are you studying about Cook and Tasman?
--- End quote ---

I'll start a new thread here about that, to save this one for my opening query, to which I'm still hoping to get answers or links that will help me work it out.

Might be a while as I'll be busy on other things the next 24 hours, and my health prevents me posting at times.

Will try to find out exactly when it was that the New Zealand Navy finally dropped Cook's figures for Dusky Sound in Fiordland -- only a few years ago IIRC.

To my limited knowledge, Tasman seems to have been extremely good at dead reckoning, better than his council of officers from both the Heemskerck and Zeehaen.  Will post the details eventually, and other findings that came about through learning a bit about 1642 Dutch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version