Off Topic > General Discussion

Starship!

<< < (2/50) > >>

Peter B:

--- Quote from: jfb on December 10, 2020, 01:18:16 PM ---Moderately surprised to not see a thread on Starship, especially after yesterday's flight.  Despite the kaboom at the end, that was a spectacularly successful flight.  A real-world test of a new engine cycle, a new fuel, a new mode of flight, and they almost pulled it off on the first try. 

And, my God, this shot:

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1336849897987796992

That's real time.  That's not slowed down.  It just looks slow because you're looking at a 12-story building falling at you. 

SN9 is already built, there are at least 6 more prototypes in various stages of completion, the first booster is under construction - 2021 is gonna be an interesting year in South Texas.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, 90 degree rotation in about three seconds. That's going to be interesting for passengers.

raven:

--- Quote from: smartcooky on December 10, 2020, 07:01:54 PM ---I love SpaceX's rapid iteration philosophy, they will have a truckload of data from this flight

"SpaceX - We Crash to Learn"

--- End quote ---
It's like a real life Kerbal Space Program.
You got to admit, the explosions are even better IRL.

smartcooky:

--- Quote from: Peter B on December 10, 2020, 07:53:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: jfb on December 10, 2020, 01:18:16 PM ---Moderately surprised to not see a thread on Starship, especially after yesterday's flight.  Despite the kaboom at the end, that was a spectacularly successful flight.  A real-world test of a new engine cycle, a new fuel, a new mode of flight, and they almost pulled it off on the first try. 

And, my God, this shot:

That's real time.  That's not slowed down.  It just looks slow because you're looking at a 12-story building falling at you. 

SN9 is already built, there are at least 6 more prototypes in various stages of completion, the first booster is under construction - 2021 is gonna be an interesting year in South Texas.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, 90 degree rotation in about three seconds. That's going to be interesting for passengers.

--- End quote ---

Yes, but if you look carefully, you will see that the bottom pivots around the nose cone - the flaps at the bottom fold up while the flaps on the nose cone remain extended. The crew/passengers will be at or close to the centre of rotation.

I can think of a half dozen fairground rides I have been on that pitch and rotate more violently that this maneuvre will.

Peter B:

--- Quote from: smartcooky on December 11, 2020, 12:17:48 AM ---
--- Quote from: Peter B on December 10, 2020, 07:53:33 PM ---

And, my God, this shot:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Yes, but if you look carefully, you will see that the bottom pivots around the nose cone - the flaps at the bottom fold up while the flaps on the nose cone remain extended. The crew/passengers will be at or close to the centre of rotation.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I did see that, and fully accept the point you're making.

Still, if I've got my geometry right, the passengers are going to be rotating from sitting up to lying on their backs. Obviously they're going to be fully aware of what's about to happen, but I reckon it would still be a bit unnerving.

--- Quote ---I can think of a half dozen fairground rides I have been on that pitch and rotate more violently that this maneuvre will.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, but you wouldn't have ridden any of them while wearing a spacesuit with all the attendant problems if you suddenly need to have a spew...  :o

Dalhousie:
Note that in September 2019 this flight was promised to be in October 2019.

At that time the flight was supposed to be to 18 km.  This has been gradually whittled down, first to 15 km then 12.5 km.

This flight was no higher or faster than a commercial airliner.

While useful data and experience would have been gained, the flight ended with the destruction of a testbed and the loss of three reusable engines.

This is still very early days for "Starship".  There is a long way to go before it is orbital capable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version