Author Topic: Chang'e 5  (Read 14052 times)

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
Re: Chang'e 5
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2020, 05:35:46 AM »
Successful autonomous sample transfer in lunar orbit

Now for TEI is about a week and Earth landing on the17th

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2020, 12:53:21 PM »
They really deserve congratulations for how smoothly this is going. Even with any wrinkles kept out of the limelight, this mission has had a LOT of moving parts, almost an unmanned Apollo, and they've so far pulled it off quite well indeed. Kudos!

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2020, 01:49:31 PM »
They really deserve congratulations for how smoothly this is going. Even with any wrinkles kept out of the limelight, this mission has had a LOT of moving parts, almost an unmanned Apollo, and they've so far pulled it off quite well indeed. Kudos!

Has there been an announcement of the depth reached by the drill?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2020, 05:15:44 PM »

Has there been an announcement of the depth reached by the drill?
Two meters.
https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/12/03/chinas-change-5-sample-return-craft-takes-off-from-the-moon/

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2020, 11:02:36 AM »
Two meters is impressive for an automated sampler.  And I agree the Chinese deserve a standing ovation.  This is an incredibly complex mission that is well on the way to succeeding.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2020, 11:54:31 PM »

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2020, 11:56:38 PM »

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2020, 05:35:24 AM »
More on the sampler https://www.leonarddavid.com/sampling-the-moons-surface-innovation-precision-and-reliability/
I'm always very impressed by what the Chinese are achieving in spaceflight.  They're very secretive about it, but when the information is released it often shows how much they've achieved working almost completely in isolation.

Not long now until the return landing...
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2020, 07:09:22 AM »
More on the sampler https://www.leonarddavid.com/sampling-the-moons-surface-innovation-precision-and-reliability/
I'm always very impressed by what the Chinese are achieving in spaceflight.  They're very secretive about it, but when the information is released it often shows how much they've achieved working almost completely in isolation.

I get really tired in the various space fora and social media groups of  people trotting out "yeah but stolen technology" arguments. Apart from them not offering proof it was stolen, the obvious response is "well it's notvlike you were doing anything with it".

This mission has been really interesting in many ways, not least of which is a tinfoil lander with no dust on its footpads and an invisible flame doing a link up in orbit ;)

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2020, 02:56:40 PM »
Yeesh, some people! There's many things I am less than fond of about the Chinese government*, but when it comes to space, space travel, and space exploration, I am a firm and committed internationalist.
No matter who does it, it enriches us all.
*and the Russian and American governments for that matter.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2020, 02:58:17 AM »
A video of the scoop in action on Earth

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2020, 02:59:12 AM »

Much less than the old USSR.  A great deal of information is released before hand, if you know where to look

Offline molesworth

• Mars
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2020, 05:19:39 AM »

Much less than the old USSR.  A great deal of information is released before hand, if you know where to look
True, but it does take a bit of digging to find (any good links always appreciated ;-)).  I suppose we've become used to having almost instant access to information from NASA, ESA and ISRO, so it's slightly frustrating to not have the same for CNSA as well.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2020, 04:14:23 PM »

True, but it does take a bit of digging to find (any good links always appreciated ;-)).  I suppose we've become used to having almost instant access to information from NASA, ESA and ISRO, so it's slightly frustrating to not have the same for CNSA as well.

Actually CNSA releases mission data faster than either ESA or ISRO and CNSA plans are known well in advance.  Just because the Euro-American media don't splash them across headlines, does not mean they are not there.

Offline molesworth

• Mars
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2020, 07:09:20 PM »
Actually CNSA releases mission data faster than either ESA or ISRO and CNSA plans are known well in advance.  Just because the Euro-American media don't splash them across headlines, does not mean they are not there.
My google-fu must be weak in this specific instance, as I don't have the skinny on CNSA info or announcements  :(  Any linkifications would be much appreciated, or is it just a matter of better keywords...