Author Topic: Strong arguments versus weak arguments.  (Read 205773 times)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
Re: Strong arguments versus weak arguments.
« Reply #420 on: June 26, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »
I realize it wouldn't be practical, but it's really too bad we can't include my (as I've said before) personal favorite: the "bewildering" argument.

For example, I saw a video the other day by the Hunched one in which he compares two images of the same rock - he even refers to them as a stereoscopic pair - and finds it suspicious that the rock's features are slightly different in the two images, as though they were taken from different angles.  He somehow found this suspicious.....

:::: facepalm ::::
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #421 on: June 26, 2012, 04:20:53 PM »
Turbonium may be infuriating and ridiculous at times, but at least he is usually polite and isn't so stupid as to challenge really obvious mathematical proofs. Advancedboy couldn't even bring himself to that standard.

Well done you, and well done Turbonium. It's nice to hear that a HB can concede an argument.  :D
He doesn't seem to ever conded on the Unexplained Mysteries forum.  He's been going on about the C rock lately.  Showing him the magazine cover without the C published right after the mission only brings claims that it is blurry so the C can't be seen.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline DataCable

• Earth
« Reply #422 on: June 26, 2012, 05:37:53 PM »
and finds it suspicious that the rock's features are slightly different in the two images, as though they were taken from different angles.  He somehow found this suspicious.....
That reminds me of NasaScam's <cough> "analysis" of photographs from 17, commenting that they must have used the same "backdrop" even though the locations were supposedly miles apart.  But then he notes that some background details have been shifted around.  Well, are the backdrops identical or not?  Make up yer frakkin' mind.
Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #423 on: June 26, 2012, 11:14:42 PM »
For example, I saw a video the other day by the Hunched one in which he compares two images of the same rock - he even refers to them as a stereoscopic pair - and finds it suspicious that the rock's features are slightly different in the two images, as though they were taken from different angles.  He somehow found this suspicious.....
He actually used a different picture for the two images in a stereo pair? Wow, he's making progress; usually his so-called stereo pairs consist of two copies of the exact same photo. Maybe that's why he can't figure out why two separate pictures show the scene from slightly different angles.

I think there's something very seriously wrong with his visual perception and spatial reasoning. Maybe he had 'lazy eye' as a kid? I've repeatedly asked him but he refuses to answer.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #424 on: June 26, 2012, 11:44:12 PM »
Showing him the magazine cover without the C published right after the mission only brings claims that it is blurry so the C can't be seen.

Sigh, forever shifting the goalposts and making crap up, those conspiracy theorists are.  Herh herh herh.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #425 on: June 28, 2012, 09:31:46 AM »
He doesn't seem to ever conded on the Unexplained Mysteries forum.  He's been going on about the C rock lately.  Showing him the magazine cover without the C published right after the mission only brings claims that it is blurry so the C can't be seen.

After acting like like a defective turntable and repeating the old "radiation"-nonsense for 4 years, and the "knee"-sillyness of the last year, it's at least a new (for him) lie.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #426 on: June 28, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »
He actually used a different picture for the two images in a stereo pair? Wow, he's making progress;

In his most recent YT videos he puts two different pics of the same thing - not a stereopair, just two pictures - side by side and calls it a stereoscopic pair. I guess he's getting warmer.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #427 on: October 06, 2012, 05:15:41 AM »
We just need some hoax believers now......

http://apollohoax.net/bingo/

Is this game still 'active'..? Because we can expect a nice chap soon (Edwardwb1001), really convinced that NASA faked it all. His best shot (I presume) is the BBC 1970 interview with Neil Armstrong done by Patrick Moore.

He questions Collins' statement regarding the stars, and Armstrong being unable to see any on the supposed long trip to the moon. Why an astronomer such as Moore thinks that there should have been stars brightly visible in the lunar sky, so much, that he thought they might even be visible in the solar corona. Et cetera, et cetera.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:17:54 AM by Rob260259 »

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #428 on: October 06, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »
We just need some hoax believers now......

http://apollohoax.net/bingo/

Is this game still 'active'..? Because we can expect a nice chap soon (Edwardwb1001), really convinced that NASA faked it all. His best shot (I presume) is the BBC 1970 interview with Neil Armstrong done by Patrick Moore.

He questions Collins' statement regarding the stars, and Armstrong being unable to see any on the supposed long trip to the moon. Why an astronomer such as Moore thinks that there should have been stars brightly visible in the lunar sky, so much, that he thought they might even be visible in the solar corona. Et cetera, et cetera.

Nothing new, then?

Dunno if the bingo is still active. Maybe eddy can reactivate it.

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #429 on: October 06, 2012, 05:48:04 PM »
Nope, nothing new I'm afraid. Same story, same 'revelations'. Anyway, Ed says he's going to show a NASA source which is very contradicting... I can't wait.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #430 on: October 07, 2012, 01:19:11 AM »
Why an astronomer such as Moore thinks that there should have been stars brightly visible in the lunar sky, so much, that he thought they might even be visible in the solar corona. Et cetera, et cetera.
The solar corona is visible only when the photosphere (the really bright part) is obscured. On earth this happens only during a total eclipse of the sun; there's far too much atmospheric scattering when this happens at sunrise and sunset.

Total solar eclipses are so rare and so short that the ability to produce one almost on demand in space was and still is very scientifically useful. Hence the experiments to photograph the corona on many Apollo missions, and the "coronagraphs" that are important instruments on space-borne solar telescopes.

So Moore was asking if even the sun's corona was bright enough to obscure stars when the solar photosphere was obscured by the moon. He obviously knew that the sun itself was plenty bright to do that.

If Moore was an astronomer, it's quite likely that he saw a total eclipse himself and wanted to compare the crew's experience with his own. After all, the mechanism that let the crew view the corona was very similar to that of a total solar eclipse. In both cases the moon, lacking an atmosphere, did not scatter light from the photosphere around its limb, leaving the corona visible.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 01:23:15 AM by ka9q »

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #431 on: October 07, 2012, 01:40:53 AM »
BTW, a look at the many SOHO coronagraph movies shows that many stars are visible through the dimmer parts of the solar corona. Planets and presumably the brightest stars are visible through even the brighter parts of the corona, at least when you look more than a couple of solar radii away from the photosphere.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #432 on: October 08, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »
The astronauts weren't looking for stars in the solar corona.  Moore's question is whether stars were visible elsewhere in the sky during the time they were photographing the solar corona.  He knew that good seeing conditions would arise when the Moon was eclipsing the Sun.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #433 on: October 08, 2012, 05:29:42 PM »
Ah, thanks.

I've seen only one total solar eclipse (February 26, 1979 in Oregon along the Columbia River east of the Cascades) and was surprised that the sky didn't get as dark as I expected. Only the planets and brighter stars were easily visible even though I had dark-adapted my eyes before totality. The sky was a very dark blue but not quite black. The horizon was bright in every direction, and only the center of the sun (moon, actually) looked completely black. I doubt it was actually darker than anywhere else in the sky, it was undoubtedly an optical illusion due to the sharp contrast with the corona at the moon's edge.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #434 on: October 09, 2012, 12:40:04 AM »
I was at Kanarrahville, Utah recently for Ground Zero of this year's annular eclipse.  It got eerily dark, but not so dark that you could see stars.  The guy next to me photographed a jet contrail transiting the eclipse.  It was a pretty striking photograph.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams