Author Topic: Clavius: missing photos  (Read 35636 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Clavius: missing photos
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 12:23:17 PM »
Part of the issue for the LoC is changing standards of format.  Think how many kinds of format there are for just pictures and which have already gone obsolete.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
Indeed, when was the last time you saw an image in TARGA format?  This plagues engineering greatly too.  Back in the 90s there was a big push to do everything with CAD/CAE/CAM.  But no one product had staying power, and there were few, if any, common digital formats for design data.  So even after some firm upgraded to a new system, instances of old computer systems had to be kept and maintained in order to access the old stored designs.  Even at the time the space shuttles were retired, there was no definitive external record of any of the orbiters.  Each contractor and subcontractor had its own digital record in its own format  It remained the case that if you really needed to confirm exactly how something was built on the orbiter, you had to go and physically inspect the orbiter.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 11:05:33 PM »
Ironically I received an initial copy of Roll 39, digitized from camera originals in lossless format at a zillion DPI.  Damned now if I can find the hard disk they were stored on.

Please reassure me that you weren't an early adopter of Bitcoin.    ;)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 10:12:28 AM »
Ironically I received an initial copy of Roll 39, digitized from camera originals in lossless format at a zillion DPI.  Damned now if I can find the hard disk they were stored on.

Please reassure me that you weren't an early adopter of Bitcoin.    ;)

As an investment, no.  As a method of payment, yes.  As a technology (i.e., blockchain), certainly.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 06:37:44 PM »
Same here, actually.  That was just a friendly jab at your comment about misplacing the hard drive.   ;)  I've heard more than one similar story involving lost ɃTC.

I local friend of mine had 6,000 at one point when they were nearly worthless.