Author Topic: Mars 2020 Perseverance rover landing  (Read 5047 times)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
Re: Mars 2020 Perseverance rover landing
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 03:08:47 PM »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 03:23:58 PM »
Excelent video.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 03:47:59 PM »
That's how I want to be lowered into my grave.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 07:19:51 PM »

Just an awesome video. Thank you for posting it.

The best bit for me was near the end with the three simultaneous images. Looking down to see the dust swirling on the ground is exciting, as was looking down from the descent module to the rover as it touched down. But the most special image for me was looking up from the rover to the descent module, seeing the engines from below.

Now while the three simultaneous videos are cool, what I'd like to see (because I wish I had the skills to do this) is a fully integrated video of the landing sequence. For example, when we look down at Mars when the heat shield was dropped, were we at any point looking at the actual landing site? What were the altitude and rate of descent at times other than when they were being announced? What was the status of the spacecraft during various points of the descent (for example, what was the period of time between the parachute being discarded and the descent engines being fired)?

(For an idea of what I'd like to see, I recently found again a video of the descent of Huygens to the surface of Titan which displays almost all of the data available, accompanied by a soundtrack created by linking sounds to various activities: https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/resources/10064/musical-descent-to-titan/

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2021, 05:32:20 AM »
That is just gob-smacking gorgeous. Gave me literal shivers. Thank you so very much for sharing. No doubt a Scott Manley vid going over every detail is in the works, but just watching was, wow, just so much wow.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 01:49:30 PM »
Seriously, most of us have spent our entire careers having to imagine what our little robots were doing thousands or millions of kilometers away.  Or worse, imagining what they might have been doing when some indication occurs that it has misbehaved.  It's a leap of faith.  You can see a 40-meter solar panel unfold in the clean room, supported by all the test fixtures and equipment.  But it's not the same.  On orbit, you see an indication that the bus voltage has risen.  So you can infer that the panel deployed.  But that's still just a number on a screen.  Every engineer wishes he were out there in a space suit watching his satellite chassis spread its wings.  And, more importantly, observing with his own eyes when something breaks.

So yeah, even seeing it after the fact, as an actual high-quality video stream, is amazing.  It convinces you the stuff really does work.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 01:56:50 PM »
Oh, and the parachute contained a secret code!

No, seriously, it really did. This is not some froot loop conspiracy theory. The group at JPL who developed the supersonic parachute arranged the colour of the panels to spell out JPL's motto "DARE MIGHTY THINGS" in ASCII code, followed by JPL's map co-ordinates

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/lqgset/oc_decoding_the_stars_visualizing_the_message_in/

This has been confirmed by Perseverance chief engineer Adam Steltzner

"It looks like the internet has cracked the code in something like 6 hours! Oh internet is there anything you can’t do?"

The mismatching red and white stripes were the first clue. Puzzle solvers then converted those into binary code - ones for red, zeros for white. The ones and zeros were then separated into groups of 10, and each of those sections had 64 added to it.

A very neatly conceived and delivered Easter Egg

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 02:12:10 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 12:10:00 AM »
As I was saying about Scott Manley.