Author Topic: Corona Virus  (Read 7805 times)

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
Re: Corona Virus
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 02:53:54 PM »
I'm wary of emphasizing the role of police until we have proper oversight of them and they can be trusted not to kill innocent people.
I share your sentiment about not emphasizing their role, but question your trust issue.  I am sorry that you seem to feel that way, but do you run and hide when you see them, or do you actually behave normally, trusting them not to kill you (presuming you are innocent)?
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2020, 10:09:08 AM »
They don't need to kill..they put heavy money taxes for people not going out, or put those who steal in prison. Only if the thieveshave weapons and fire on them, then the normal measures will be taken.
“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 11:20:53 AM »
I'm wary of emphasizing the role of police until we have proper oversight of them and they can be trusted not to kill innocent people.
I share your sentiment about not emphasizing their role, but question your trust issue.  I am sorry that you seem to feel that way, but do you run and hide when you see them, or do you actually behave normally, trusting them not to kill you (presuming you are innocent)?

There's a large middle ground between those two places.  As it happens, I view even our local police with considerable suspicion, because as a mentally ill person, I'm in greater danger than the average white woman.  If I ever have a mental health crisis in public, it puts my life in danger.  Our police in this state actively fought having to take a mandatory deescalation training in dealing with mentally ill people that's been shown to save lives.  Both the lives of mentally ill people and the lives of police officers.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2020, 12:53:36 PM »
There's a large middle ground between those two places.
Of course there is.  That was my point.  There is a big difference between having suspicions and complete distrust.  Also, please remember, the highly publicized tragedies are by far the aberration, rather than the overwhelming norm.  That does NOT excuse the cases that do happen, but proves they are not everyday events.  I see it as akin to taking a flight.  There have been hundreds and hundreds of airplane crashes over the years, but when I board one, I trust that it WON'T crash.
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2020, 06:26:19 PM »
Well, that's the thing, isn't it?  Someone's keeping track of airplane crashes.  No one is keeping track of how many people are killed by the police.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2020, 02:40:37 PM »
https://pressfrom.info/us/news/politics/-406556-bush-in-2005-if-we-wait-for-a-pandemic-to-appear-it-will-be-too-late-to-prepare.html

Bush warning about a pandemic .. probably the only smart thing he did

Meanwhile, why are New York numbers so high ?
“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2020, 04:34:08 PM »
Well, that's the thing, isn't it?  Someone's keeping track of airplane crashes.  No one is keeping track of how many people are killed by the police.

The police does. There's statistics available on FBI's website, I believe.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2020, 11:45:35 AM »

The police does. There's statistics available on FBI's website, I believe.

Inaccurate ones.  They're not required to report.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2020, 09:30:42 AM »
3 days do not a trend make, but we may be hitting an inflection point in the US on the current wave. 

Going by the Worldometer numbers for the US, the second half of March saw an average rate of increase in deaths per day of around 30% (individual day to day changes ranged from 16% to 41%).  Over the last 3 days, that rate of increase has been 13%-14%. 

I'm focusing on deaths not because I'm particularly ghoulish (well, not just because), but because I think those are probably more accurately (less inaccurately?) counted than the total number of cases due to lack of testing and the fact that people are being told to stay home unless critically ill.  We know there's an undercount of cases, just not by how much. 

However, if we feel like active cases are not any more or less inaccurate than the death count, then the case fatality rate in the US is around 3%.  That ain't the freaking flu

There's going to be another wave, though - Texas won't hit its peak until May, and the rest of the South will start seeing their numbers increase in the next couple of weeks. 

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2020, 11:04:44 AM »
Washington State has officially closed its schools for the rest of the school year.