Apollo Discussions > The Reality of Apollo

1969 1-Inch Video Tapes with Apollo 11 Landing & Moonwalk

<< < (2/3) > >>

apollo16uvc:
I have been talking with several companies and people in the Netherlands that have the capability to play 1" video tapes, including Ampex Type A, C and IVC.

For a payment I can visit and try my tapes on various machines. 

If they are PAL, transfer is most likely going to be possible as long as they play well. If they are NTSC, modification of a PAL machine may be a possibility (At a much greater expense)

Either way, it is going to be rather costly. But this may be worth it if the tapes contain broadcasts from channels largely lost.

I can probably I.D the content by the audio alone which will certainly be possible.

It would help greatly if I had a list of channels that you know very little footage survived of, and which channels were largely conserved.

Then I can ultimately determine if it is going to be worth IT or not.

JayUtah:
If you bought them from someone in the U.S.A., the chances that they are NTSC are pretty high.

Obviousman:

--- Quote from: JayUtah on July 28, 2021, 09:34:08 AM ---If you bought them from someone in the U.S.A., the chances that they are NTSC are pretty high.

--- End quote ---
Yup.

Interesting that they are labelled "Apollo XI" rather than "Apollo 11". Someone from NASA?

apollo16uvc:
Time for a delayed update!

The tapes have since arrived at my place. The condition of the tape appears to be good...tape does not fall apart, is clean, does not smell or does not curl/spoke/come off.

Furthermore, the reels themselves also bear identification numbers, which correspond to the numbers on the boxes. So there are no random tapes put in the boxes.

More good news... see a piece of tape under my magnetic developer:

Clearly visible from top to bottom:
1. Mono soundtrack
2. Helical scan video track.
3. Control pulse track.

So there is definitely video on them... and most likely Ampex Type A NTSC, maybe PAL.

I have already found a company in the Netherlands with two Ampex Type A machines. Even if they are NTSC reels, playback on a PAL machine for the sound is possible. Then I can identify if it has NASA material on it, or something else like football or I Love Lucy.

If they do contain Apollo 11 broadcasts, I think I will be able to identify source from the audio aswel. If they were sourced from NASA, a television channel or a tracking station.

smartcooky:

--- Quote from: apollo16uvc on September 23, 2021, 01:11:03 PM ---I have already found a company in the Netherlands with two Ampex Type A machines. Even if they are NTSC reels, playback on a PAL machine for the sound is possible. Then I can identify if it has NASA material on it, or something else like football or I Love Lucy.
--- End quote ---

Here's hoping for the former and not that latter!

--- Quote from: apollo16uvc on September 23, 2021, 01:11:03 PM ---If they do contain Apollo 11 broadcasts, I think I will be able to identify source from the audio aswel. If they were sourced from NASA, a television channel or a tracking station.

--- End quote ---

Would the presence or absence of quindar tones be a clue to that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version