Author Topic: Biden's choice of running mate  (Read 5265 times)

Offline Jeff Raven

• Venus
Biden's choice of running mate
« on: August 11, 2020, 11:18:39 PM »
So, Biden announced his choice today, going with the betting favorite. Thoughts?  Good or bad? Very impactful on the overall election or not really?  Divisive or uniting (for either/both party)?

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: Biden's choice of running mate
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 01:51:34 AM »
I really don't know. Her record will be investigated now and we can all make our decisions on what sort of a VP she will make.

Right now, I am all for her.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 05:34:38 AM »
For nothing else, it will enrage the Tango Mussolini by having to deal with a woman of colour. No doubt there'll be plenty of overt and not-so-overt racist and misogynistic bile from Trumplethinskin in the coming weeks.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Luther

• Venus
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 09:11:29 AM »
For nothing else, it will enrage the Tango Mussolini by having to deal with a woman of colour. No doubt there'll be plenty of overt and not-so-overt racist and misogynistic bile from Trumplethinskin in the coming weeks.

For those of us who are a bit old-fashioned and square, who or what is the Tango Mussolini?

I think I know, but I am not sure, and can't quite work out the etymology.  (Tango?)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 09:43:39 AM »

For those of us who are a bit old-fashioned and square, who or what is the Tango Mussolini?

I think I know, but I am not sure, and can't quite work out the etymology.  (Tango?)

Trump. The Tango bit refers to his laughable skin colouration and the Mussolini bit refers to his obvious desire to be a dictator.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Luther

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 11:01:34 AM »
Trump. The Tango bit refers to his laughable skin colouration and the Mussolini bit refers to his obvious desire to be a dictator.

Is "Tango" short for "Tangerine"?  Otherwise, I can't work out what an Argentinian dance style has to do with it.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 11:35:25 AM »

Is "Tango" short for "Tangerine"?  Otherwise, I can't work out what an Argentinian dance style has to do with it.

My apologies...Tango is an orange-flavoured soft drink popular in the UK, hence the link to Trumps ridiculous facial makeup.

As an aside, Tango also had some of the most bizarre TV adverts in the 1980s....

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »
A lot of my friends are mad because she's a former DA who hasn't done enough to make it clear that the system is skewed against PoC and so forth.  And honestly?  They're not wrong.  There are things I like about her, but if I were her, I'd make sure my convention speech talked about that in pretty specific detail and about how to fix the broken system.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 07:56:57 PM »
She seems better than Sarah Palin, but that's not what I'd call a tall bar to hop over.

Offline Ranb

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 11:48:20 PM »
I've been hoping that Biden would make a proper selection for a running mate, win the presidential election, then resign for health reasons and let the VP take over.

Ranb

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 04:55:43 AM »
I've been hoping that Biden would make a proper selection for a running mate, win the presidential election, then resign for health reasons and let the VP take over.

Ranb

Boy, I hope not.

Democrat Party primary voters voted for Biden to be the party's candidate. So he'd better step up to the plate and do the job the party selected him to do.

Plus there are Trump supporters over at UM who are convinced he'll do exactly that (resign early). It'd be a shame to prove them right.

I'd like to think he could at least outlast William Harrison...

Offline Luther

• Venus
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 09:46:08 AM »
My apologies...Tango is an orange-flavoured soft drink popular in the UK, hence the link to Trumps ridiculous facial makeup.

I see.

Orange-flavoured drinks aren't really my thing, so it could be I just ignore it whenever I see it.

Or maybe I saw some of the adverts, and avoided it for that reason.

Or maybe because it's now been almost exactly a year since I was last in the UK.  I was supposed to go a few months ago, but - virus.

Offline Luther

• Venus
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 09:47:22 AM »
I've been hoping that Biden would make a proper selection for a running mate

Did he?

Offline Jeff Raven

• Venus
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 08:41:44 PM »
She seems better than Sarah Palin, but that's not what I'd call a tall bar to hop over.

That's for sure. I've read what he said about it, but I still really can't understand why McCain picked her. It's never as simple as just one thing, but to me that was a huge part of why he lost. (definitely cost him my vote)

Offline Jeff Raven

• Venus
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 08:53:15 PM »
I was intrigued with the possibility of him picking Tammy Duckworth, even though I knew she was more of a longshot than others were. I don't know quite as much about her as I do some of the rest, but I like her career (yes, it has a few warts, such as during her VA time, but then again, whose doesn't) and in general what she's done since she's been in office.

I do think that she would have helped Biden in terms of getting some military votes to come back from the right, something that any Democrat wants/needs.