Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Richard Branson
« Last post by Zakalwe on Today at 03:42:42 AM »
The culture in VG also appears to be totally wrong. The sacking of Stucky, the decision-making of the pilots on Bransons flight all point to an enterprise run on autocracy. Again, hubris, "go-fever", and decision-making based on not displeasing the Boss all have no place in spaceflight. Space is hard and mistakes are mercilessly punished. I hope that the FAA grounds the thing before others are killed.

Indeed. It was in part, that kind of attitude and culture that got 14 NASA astronauts killed (the other part was "normalisation of deviance").

You would have to drag me kicking and screaming into that Virgin Galactic thing for a spaceflight, but you could strap me into a Dragon capsule in a heartbeat.

Absolutely agreed.
However, in my particular case, I seem to be somewhat short of the $100million+ needed for the ticket. I've looked down the back of the sofa and still am short.  :( >:(
« Last post by smartcooky on September 22, 2021, 05:16:18 PM »
The culture in VG also appears to be totally wrong. The sacking of Stucky, the decision-making of the pilots on Bransons flight all point to an enterprise run on autocracy. Again, hubris, "go-fever", and decision-making based on not displeasing the Boss all have no place in spaceflight. Space is hard and mistakes are mercilessly punished. I hope that the FAA grounds the thing before others are killed.

Indeed. It was in part, that kind of attitude and culture that got 14 NASA astronauts killed (the other part was "normalisation of deviance").

You would have to drag me kicking and screaming into that Virgin Galactic thing for a spaceflight, but you could strap me into a Dragon capsule in a heartbeat.
« Last post by Zakalwe on September 22, 2021, 05:33:24 AM »
Well there goes the neighbourhood. Remember when the riff raff knew their place and it was on Earth?

Inspiration4?
I do hope that your comment was tongue in cheek?

Yep. See my essay on the previous page to understand my facetiousness.

Ahhh, gotcha.

The Inspiration4 flight was a masterpiece. Issacman is a mover and shaker....I'd love to know how he got Netflix to spend large on a multi-part series with those production values.  I believe that SpaceX are now considering making more Dragon capsules to meet demand for more tourism. However, the real mass interest will kick off when (not "if") they get Starship up and running. The possibility of 100 tourists at one time might even make it possible for a mere mortal to fly in space!

Regarding Branson's endeavours? I really, really, REALLY dislike that contraption that they are flying. It's killed people so far and they way that they are going about it I think that it will kill more people if they press ahead with trying to fly tourists. Rutan's design has no computers and is very much a "seat of the pants" design. It looks to be very difficult to fly and it relies on the pilots being the very best. however, any design that relies on [ur=https://www.space.com/30073-virgin-galactic-spaceshiptwo-crash-pilot-error.htmll]humans to make mission-critical decisions and to time those decisions within a second[/url] is inherently neither a safe or reliable system. hell, even the very earliest NASA manned missions were heavily automated. Bad things happen far too quickly when flying into space to allow humans to be the only piloting system.

The culture in VG also appears to be totally wrong. The sacking of Stucky, the decision-making of the pilots on Bransons flight all point to an enterprise run on autocracy. Again, hubris, "go-fever", and decision-making based on not displeasing the Boss all have no place in spacelight. Space is hard and mistakes are mercilessly punished. I hope that the FAA grounds the thing before others are killed.
« Last post by smartcooky on September 21, 2021, 08:00:17 AM »
Well there goes the neighbourhood. Remember when the riff raff knew their place and it was on Earth?

Inspiration4?

I was going to rip you a new one Glom. That was before I went back and read that essay. Much as I like many of Steve Shives' videos, I think he's dead wrong on that one.

IMO, the Inspiration 4 crew are well named. They were a damned fine crew with great objectives.

Jared Isaacman paid for the launch and mission (reportedly about US$200M), and on top of that, put up another US$100M to kick start a fundraising drive for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. As of September 20, the fundraiser had reached US$210 million including a $50M donation from Elon.

Isaacman took with him a customer of his business (Dr. Sian Proctor), a bone cancer survivor whose life as a child was saved by Doctors at St. Jude's and who now works there as a physician assistant with leukemia and lymphoma patients (Hayley Arceneaux), and an Aeropace engineer who had a childhood passion for rocketry (Chris Sembroski).

What's not to like about any of that?

For mine, this was is the first "true" civilian mission to space - they launched, they orbited for three days (about 40+ orbits) faced the challenges of re-entry and splashdown. These guys were the real thing 
The Hoax Theory / Re: Apollo 13 landing site
« Last post by bknight on September 17, 2021, 05:34:39 PM »

Here you go. This is terminator at touchdown.

The tool to use is the Virtual Moon Atlas which can use 60 metre resolution maps from LRO WAC as well as LOLA, LOPAM and Chang'e.

Stellarium is another great tool which will also give you a view on the lunar surface so you can check the Sun's location in the Lunar sky at the time.

https://stellarium.org/
https://ap-i.net/avl/en/start
Nice map but where was the planned landing site?
The red dot indicates the planned landing site.
Ah I didn't enlarge the map and couldn't see the red dot.
Thanks
« Last post by Glom on September 16, 2021, 04:13:10 AM »

Inspiration4?

« Last post by Zakalwe on September 16, 2021, 03:14:56 AM »

Inspiration4?
The Hoax Theory / Re: Apollo 13 landing site
« Last post by Zakalwe on September 16, 2021, 03:13:32 AM »

Here you go. This is terminator at touchdown.

The tool to use is the Virtual Moon Atlas which can use 60 metre resolution maps from LRO WAC as well as LOLA, LOPAM and Chang'e.

Stellarium is another great tool which will also give you a view on the lunar surface so you can check the Sun's location in the Lunar sky at the time.

https://stellarium.org/
https://ap-i.net/avl/en/start
Nice map but where was the planned landing site?
The red dot indicates the planned landing site.
« Last post by Glom on September 16, 2021, 03:11:16 AM »
Other Conspiracy Theories / Re: COVID-19
« Last post by raven on September 15, 2021, 09:27:20 PM »
Oh, and don't forget alternative 'medicine' enthusiasts and anti-vaxxers in general.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10