Author Topic: First Man  (Read 22286 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: First Man
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2019, 10:42:41 PM »
Yeah, that would be accurate.  Acoustic loading is the most prevalent adverse effect of boost to orbit.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2019, 10:06:02 AM »
The Saturn V was a real bone-shaker, yes. But the depiction of the Gemini VIII in-flight emergency seemed a little overdone. Yes, it was a serious emergency, and yes the g-forces got high enough to be very dangerous, but I wouldn't expect them to be accompanied by a lot of shaking. Just a large static force.

Don't you mean a dynamic force of the rotation?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2019, 06:27:57 PM »
Well yeah, it's a dynamic force in the sense that it's caused by rotation, but in the rotating coordinate system it would be constant and static. We could call it a "fictitious force", but it was real enough to be a major threat.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2019, 10:51:19 AM »
Finally saw this over the weekend.  Who knew the story of the first man to set foot on the moon could be so deadly boring.  I know what the filmmakers were going for, but they missed, and the movie just wasn't very engaging.  I know Neil wasn't the most dynamic personality, but Gosling's portrayal made him seem more just out to lunch than anything else. 

Can't comment meaningfully on the technical aspects.  Some things looked wrong (such as the X-15 being below the clouds when they're still waiting to gain aerodynamic control), but I chalk that up to maybe mistakes in editing.  ShakyCamTM got annoying in a number of places. 

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2019, 12:22:53 PM »
Finally saw this over the weekend.  Who knew the story of the first man to set foot on the moon could be so deadly boring.  I know what the filmmakers were going for, but they missed, and the movie just wasn't very engaging.  I know Neil wasn't the most dynamic personality, but Gosling's portrayal made him seem more just out to lunch than anything else. 

Gosling has the acting abilities of a piece of mahogany.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov