Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Other Conspiracy Theories / Re: COVID-19
« Last post by Dalhousie on Today at 06:07:17 PM »
Last Friday we came out of lockdown in Canberra. We went into lockdown about two months ago after a Delta case appeared in the city. Over the weeks the cases spread across the city, but fortunately things never got out of hand. In a city of 430,000 people we've had a total of 1700 cases in those two months, with never more than 50 new cases in a day.

The main factor which allowed the lockdown to end was that here in Canberra we reached 80% double-dose vaccines in those aged 16 and above. We're now at 86% double-dose and >98% single-dose, and both figures are still increasing.

Yesterday reached 90% double dosed.
I find it difficult to get any data from those tapes in the degraded condition they appear.
Good luck.
They don't look very degraded to me. They unspool easily, are not falling apart and don't have any strange smells. No water and mold damage either.

Hopefully they play fine and don't need to be baked.
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Apollo 16 visor reflection at House Rock
« Last post by Mag40 on October 24, 2021, 07:17:40 AM »
http://www.mem-tek.com/apollo/ISD.html
It's detailed close to the bottom - search for "Venus"

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a16/AS16-117-18815HR.jpg
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a16/AS16-117-18816HR.jpg
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a16/AS16-117-18816HR.jpg

Based on how bright Venus shows up on the image itself, I can't imagine Jupiter being big enough to show up on the visor.
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Apollo 16 visor reflection at House Rock
« Last post by Kiwi on October 24, 2021, 04:41:42 AM »
...we also know that Venus is in Apollo 16 surface photos...

Which ones? Please tell us more. I'm only aware of those Al Shepard took on Apollo 14 -- AS14-64-9189 to 9197.

We have an April 2007 thread here where fellow member Data Cable solved the claim that Venus wasn't visible in lunar photos in just his second post -- the 13th on page 1 of the following thread.
https://apollohoax.proboards.com/thread/995?page=1

I don't think we can give links to individual old posts any more, so just search for any of the words Actually, I might have located the "missing" planet (not planetoid) from the top of page 1 if you want to get there quickly.

And here's a short link to the marvellous GIF Data Cable made: http://photos.imageevent.com/datacable/apollo/A14_Earth-Venus.gif

The rest of the thread is probably worth a read for anyone who wants to see how some hoax-believers used to behave -- we haven't had any here for a long time. You'll need to click on the page links at the top.
Hoax-believer Showtime displays his brilliance and sense of humour at the top of page 3 as follows:
you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it..

Back to AS16-106-17336, Onebigmonkey. Do you have any info that could prove that the little blob in/on Young's visor is Jupiter or Venus? It would be a great exercise in photogrammetry, but few of us have those skills.

The right software would state the elevation of the planet in degrees above the true horizon at that part of the moon, pus its azimuth, but that information then has to be related to the visual horizon reflected in Young's visor, and there were hills all around. To do that we would need large-scale topographic maps and to know exactly where Duke was and at what angle his camera was tilted from horizontal. I have the impression it's tilted down, but that can be hard to tell in lunar surface photos.

As far as the light-coloured blob goes, it seems to be about as big and bright as what you say is Earth in the jump-salute photo at top. So it's unlikely Jupiter would look like that. Both its visual diameter of about 30 to 50 arc-seconds, and its apparent stellar magnitude of -1.5 to -2.5 probably count it out. But Venus might show if everything else is right.

Speaking of Venus, it's now getting close to the highest part of the ecliptic for we southern hemisphere folk, so is high in the sky and also reaches maximum brightness this week, so should be an easy naked-eye sight in the daytime sky if you know exactly where to look and have clear blue skies.

I've shown it to many people over the last 30 years. On one occasion the moon was very close to Venus around noon, when I biked to our local beach. There was a bus load of school kids there, so I told most of them how to see Venus.

« Last post by Peter B on October 23, 2021, 08:52:51 PM »
Last Friday we came out of lockdown in Canberra. We went into lockdown about two months ago after a Delta case appeared in the city. Over the weeks the cases spread across the city, but fortunately things never got out of hand. In a city of 430,000 people we've had a total of 1700 cases in those two months, with never more than 50 new cases in a day.

The main factor which allowed the lockdown to end was that here in Canberra we reached 80% double-dose vaccines in those aged 16 and above. We're now at 86% double-dose and >98% single-dose, and both figures are still increasing.

On top of that, vaccines were made available for 12- to 15-year-olds a couple of months ago. Our 13YOS got his second dose last Friday (with no side effects beyond soreness at the injection site). We're now waiting for vaccine approval for 5- to 11-year-olds.

In the meantime, the kids all go back to school on 1 November. We've just received information on the procedures the schools will have in place to reduce contacts among the school kids - a range of simple and low-key things which look eminently sensible to me: the library will be closed, lunch breaks will be staggered, access to the school oval will be on a year group roster for lunch and recess, each year group will have specific toilets allocated to them, bubblers will be switched off, and kids will be encouraged to wear masks (but it isn't compulsory).

The one compulsory thing is that teachers must be vaccinated in order to be allowed to teach classes. Not surprisingly this has caused some angst, but quite a few government departments and large private employers across Australia have announced vaccine mandates in the last couple of weeks. Yes, I understand the personal right-to-choose argument used by opponents of vaccine mandates. I just wish the people using those arguments understood their decision affects the community and not just them.
The Reality of Apollo / Book review - We Could Not Fail
« Last post by Peter B on October 23, 2021, 06:37:10 PM »
I recently finished reading this book, which is by Richard Paul and Stephen Moss.

The book is about NASA's involvement in the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s, from the perspectives of the first black engineers at NASA and from the Kennedy and Johnson administrations.

The earlier book "Hidden Figures" opened my eyes to the extent to which segregation affected the way NASA did its work in the 1960s. But this book takes that further. The personal stories are frequently unpleasant and sometimes appalling. The discussion of the administrations' efforts are perhaps a little more abstract but even there some personal emotions are displayed as politicians' and public servants' agendas butted against each other.

One point I learned - though I assume it may not be news to others here - was the way Lyndon Johnson saw racism in the southern states as a consequence of poverty, and therefore nudged government space program contracts towards the south as a way of alleviating that poverty, and consequently combating racism.

The one disappointment with the book was the less than clear writing. There were a few cases across the book where long sentences were so poorly structured that the main point of the sentences was lost.

But that shouldn't discourage people from buying the book. The stories were interesting, and the engineers themselves come across as intelligent, dignified and determined.

= = = =

ETA: Last night I watched "In the Heat of the Night". Knowing now what I've learned from "Hidden Figures" and "We Could Not Fail" my viewing experience was a lot edgier.
« Last post by jfb on October 19, 2021, 11:12:23 AM »
Colin Powell's dead.  My immediate reaction to hearing his cause of death was, "They used that man up and then they killed him."

He's got the blood of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis on his hands. He knew exactly what he was doing when he lied and fabricated evidence to the UN.

Not to mention needlessly dead, maimed, and psychologically scarred American warfighters and the strengthening of the American police state. 

My Father-in-law was a Korea veteran, and one of his many1 pearls of wisdom was that All Generals Lie All The Time.  It's just part of the job description. 

I've seen stories that claim Powell regretted that speech to the UN, but regret doesn't pay the bills. 

----------

1. Along with "never talk to the police for any reason without a lawyer present" and "you can be friends with a thief, just don't ever let him hold your wallet."
« Last post by Trebor on October 19, 2021, 04:50:00 AM »
Colin Powell's dead.  My immediate reaction to hearing his cause of death was, "They used that man up and then they killed him."

He's got the blood of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis on his hands. He knew exactly what he was doing when he lied and fabricated evidence to the UN.
...and Vietnamese.
Powell was in the unit that committed the Mỹ Lai massacre and helped cover it up.
« Last post by Zakalwe on October 18, 2021, 02:03:32 PM »

« Last post by gillianren on October 18, 2021, 09:29:37 AM »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10