Author Topic: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.  (Read 474912 times)

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
Re: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.
« Reply #870 on: September 03, 2015, 05:02:59 PM »
I don't' see anything about airframe overstress in her question. What are you talking about?
The bit where he talked about airframe stresses in his post that you declined to read.
But no, I would not conduct mechanical stress tests of an airframe with a pilot and passengers on board.
But you would with astronauts and space suits. Nice double standard you have going there.

I don't think it would be important to the test to have dummies on board.
Except forensic aircrash researchers do. Have a nice documentary about it...

That's only a 3 minute summary, but I'm certain your uber research skills can find the full version.
When you fail to do so just ask and I will spoonfeed you the link.

But eventually, that plane is going to have to be flown by a test pilot to its specified parameters, probably beyond.
Why yes. Some crazy test pilot had to climb into the very first Boeing 747 which had never left the ground before and fly it for the very first time without knowing if it would work at all and also while having no effective means of bailing out and surviving if things went wrong.

In fact, go a little further back to the 707 and you find that test pilot Tex Johnson inverted a frakkin 707 to impress potential customers.

Only 1 min 44 of your time.

Those test pilots. They sure had balls of steel and took huge risks with untested equipment.

Oh, By the way, Aldrin, Armstrong and Collins were all test pilots.

I do think it important that astronauts wearing  tested spacesuits with sublimators enter high vacuum on Earth prior to orbit for the last step of testing and training.
But you cannot say WHY you think that and you have been provided with ample reasons to NOT think that.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #871 on: September 03, 2015, 05:06:58 PM »
... except for the last step which mainly tests the astronauts reaction to the high stress of possible suit or sublimator failure.

The mannequin doesn't have the capacity for fear.

Wow. The purpose of the testing is to scare the sh*t out of the astronaut? Really?
Of course it is.

On Planet Sausage, perhaps.

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #872 on: September 03, 2015, 05:09:12 PM »
They might have known there was no such site. If the moon landings were a hoax, then the Surveyor 3 was probably a hoax too. They knew nobody would visit it in the future because they knew it didn't exist. Any future unmanned rover will probably head straight for the alleged Apollo 11 site where the hoax would probably bust open. Surveyor 3 would be a footnote.

If, probably, maybe, supposedly .....

You got no proof.

Offline Neil Baker

• Earth
« Reply #873 on: September 03, 2015, 05:13:41 PM »

In fact, go a little further back to the 707 and you find that test pilot Tex Johnson inverted a frakkin 707 to impress potential customers.

Only 1 min 44 of your time.

Actually, he was flying a Boeing 367-80. Better known as the Dash 80, it was prototype for the 707. But what does this have to do with spacesuits, sublimators or Apollo. Why are you off-topic? Aren't you a moderator?

Offline Neil Baker

• Earth
« Reply #874 on: September 03, 2015, 05:14:47 PM »
They might have known there was no such site. If the moon landings were a hoax, then the Surveyor 3 was probably a hoax too. They knew nobody would visit it in the future because they knew it didn't exist. Any future unmanned rover will probably head straight for the alleged Apollo 11 site where the hoax would probably bust open. Surveyor 3 would be a footnote.

If, probably, maybe, supposedly .....

You got no proof.

Neither do you.
But we could PROVE it.
On Earth.
Today.
Would you volunteer to wear the spacesuit in a vacuum chamber?

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #875 on: September 03, 2015, 05:16:10 PM »
whence? Are you from UK? Whence and whilst, like fingernails on a chalkboard.

You cannot attribute whence to me, it was in the post I quoted. Pay attention. In any case, I have no issue with it use in the context used. I believe it was the correct grammar, but others may correct me.

Yes, except for the last step which mainly tests the astronauts reaction to the high stress of possible suit or sublimator failure.

Define stress in this context please?

Agreed, but the sublimator rejects heat energy to space. What's the fear of the astronaut got to do with the price of apples?

Oh dear

Oh dear me all you like, the fact remains. You did not answer my question. Now you have, and it would appear to confirm what we have learned so far
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #876 on: September 03, 2015, 05:23:48 PM »

Actually, he was flying a Boeing 367-80. Better known as the Dash 80, it was prototype for the 707.
Irrelevant quibble noted, but remains irrelevant.

But what does this have to do with spacesuits, sublimators or Apollo.
It illustrates that test pilots are willing to accept a level of risk as stated in the part of my post that you oh so conveniently snipped. That is known as being economical with the truth or lying by omission.
Why are you off-topic?
I'm not. In fact it is difficult to keep you on-topic with your incessant gish gallops and red herrings.

Aren't you a moderator?
And yet more evidence of your reading comprehension difficulties. I am not a moderator. You have already been informed that LO is the sole moderator here. Yet another reply you didn't read.

Offline Neil Baker

• Earth
« Reply #877 on: September 03, 2015, 05:24:10 PM »
whence? Are you from UK? Whence and whilst, like fingernails on a chalkboard.

You cannot attribute whence to me, it was in the post I quoted. Pay attention. In any case, I have no issue with it use in the context used. I believe it was the correct grammar, but others may correct me.

Yes, except for the last step which mainly tests the astronauts reaction to the high stress of possible suit or sublimator failure.

Define stress in this context please?

Agreed, but the sublimator rejects heat energy to space. What's the fear of the astronaut got to do with the price of apples?

Oh dear

Oh dear me all you like, the fact remains. You did not answer my question. Now you have, and it would appear to confirm what we have learned so far

I know this is off-topic but you might want to change your avatar because every time I read your comments I read them as if Butters were reading them. It's hilarious.

As for the definition of stress in the context in which it was used, I mean psychological stress of being in a potentially dangerous environment. I suspect pulse and rate of breathing would be monitored. Hyperventilation while in orbit and possibly passing out would probably be very bad in orbit. Best to test and train for it in a vacuum chamber on Earth first. Ain't no 9-11 in orbit.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #878 on: September 03, 2015, 05:28:42 PM »
Neither do you.
Wrong. As demonstrated by all of the replies you didn't read containing all of the data you choose to ignore.

But we could PROVE it.
We already did. You are not a special snowflake that gets to demand special treatment.

On Earth.
Done.
Today.
Done for the last 50+ years.
Absolutely.

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #879 on: September 03, 2015, 05:30:40 PM »
Neither do you.

There's oodles of proof.

I don't NEED to volunteer to wear a spacesuit, because I've seen them - as has the whole world - in use, in the environment for which they were intended, for 50 years.

I'm sure if I did volunteer, that NASA's and other's testing regimes would ensure it wouldn't let me down. However - are you talking about testing the suit integrity, or it's cooling/heating system?

Even if a sublimator failure leads to a hot astronaut, do you really regard that as life-threatening, or are you getting a couple of issues confused?

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #880 on: September 03, 2015, 05:30:59 PM »
I know this is off-topic but you might want to change your avatar because every time I read your comments I read them as if Butters were reading them. It's hilarious.

Yes, and every time I read your comments, it reminds me of my avatar. Butters with his tin foil hat on.

As for the definition of stress in the context in which it was used, I mean psychological stress of being in a potentially dangerous environment.

The sublimator rejects heat to space. What has its function got to do with stress?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 05:35:22 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #881 on: September 03, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »

Here's a video of a UK TV presenter/journalist going into a vacuum chamber.

What do you see as the problem?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #882 on: September 03, 2015, 05:39:52 PM »

Amazing to see Charlie Brown close up. I've taken some pictures of the heat shield (what's left of it anyway). For those that are UK based, the Science Museum has a Cosmonaut Exhibition opening in a couple of weeks.

If some can PM me the code to display the images at the correct width, I'll save them as JPEG and load them to the Reality of Apollo section. Thanks in advance.
Cool.  Not having visited on, is the hatch covered by Plexiglas and the interior viewed through it?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #883 on: September 03, 2015, 05:43:43 PM »
What does fear have to do with testing any equipment?  You aren't very coherent this afternoon.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #884 on: September 03, 2015, 05:45:31 PM »

So now all of NASA is a hoax?  Care to provide some proof of this allegation?
Eugene Cernan