Author Topic: BBC Article on the first space walk  (Read 5377 times)

Offline Tedward

• Mars
BBC Article on the first space walk
« on: October 14, 2014, 05:16:13 AM »
Not sure if all can see this, but an interesting bit on Alexei Leonov.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29534966

Still a topic I have not read up so found this interesting.

Assume it is OK to put it here?

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: BBC Article on the first space walk
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 03:50:28 AM »

Thank you for that link: an incredible mission flown by incredible cosmonauts. And the BBC should be congratulated for such an excellent presentation.

Highly recommended for people to watch.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 05:51:32 PM »

I read it yesterday, but thanks for posting  the link. I think it sits well on this board as the USSR were a major contributor to the space race and the success of Apollo in an indirect manner. I wonder if the hoax crowd would be so vocal had the USSR beat the US to the Moon?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 03:17:38 AM »
Not really paid much attention to the Soviet side (apart from implications) and that piece on the BBC web site seemed succinct and easy to grasp, I liked the style it was presented. I expect there is more in print but still not got around to that chapter yet.

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 11:15:05 AM »
I wonder if the hoax crowd would be so vocal had the USSR beat the US to the Moon?

I remember one time an HB said he had a lot of respect for NASA and Armstrong but still believed in the hoax. I asked how he could then possibly have that respect and got no response. I looked at it as an example of his lacking a grasp of logic and reality and wondered if he didn't even get my point.
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 05:28:18 PM »
Serial deniers will, it is one of the constants of the universe.

I imagine, on another planet, there are aliens saying they have proof that humans make crop squares.

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 08:35:54 AM »
Really liked that article...was pleasantly surprised to read that Leonov acted on his own to lower the pressure in his suit, knowing enough not to await a decision from bureaucratic ground controllers.

Bravo, Alexei...well done.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 07:44:22 AM »
Really liked that article...was pleasantly surprised to read that Leonov acted on his own to lower the pressure in his suit
By how much, and to what?

This could still be rather dangerous. The partial pressure of O2 at sea level is about 21.3 kPa or 3.089 psi. A suit pressure below that would represent a higher altitude. Depending on Leonov's physiology and conditioning, he might or might not safely tolerate it. As pilots know, hypoxia can be very insidious and severely affect your judgment without your necessarily realizing it.

Of course, getting stuck outside on an EVA would still be worse, so...