Author Topic: The Cursed Audio Tape: Jonestown  (Read 3261 times)

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
The Cursed Audio Tape: Jonestown
« on: June 24, 2020, 09:53:32 AM »
This is the most cursed audio tape I ever heard.

Its absolutely gruesome and most certainly haunted.

The Peoples Temple Agricultural Project, better known by its informal name "Jonestown", was a remote settlement established by the Peoples Temple, a cult under the leadership of Jim Jones, in Guayana Esequiba, a disputed territory in northwestern Guyana claimed by Venezuela.

It became internationally known when, on November 18, 1978, a total of 918 people died at the settlement, at the nearby airstrip in Port Kaituma, and at a Temple-run building in Georgetown, Guyana's capital city. The name of the settlement became synonymous with the incidents at those locations.

In total, 909 individuals died in Jonestown,all but two from apparent cyanide poisoning, in an event termed "revolutionary suicide" by Jones and some Peoples Temple members on an audio tape of the event, and in prior recorded discussions. The poisonings in Jonestown followed the murder of five others by Temple members at Port Kaituma, including United States Congressman Leo Ryan, an act that Jones ordered. Four other Temple members committed murder-suicide in Georgetown at Jones' command.

Terms used to describe the deaths in Jonestown and Georgetown evolved over time. Many contemporary media accounts after the events called the deaths a mass suicide. In contrast, most sources today refer to the deaths with terms such as mass murder-suicide, a massacre, or simply mass murder. Seventy or more individuals at Jonestown were injected with poison, and a third of the victims (304) were minors. Guards armed with guns and crossbows had been ordered to shoot those who fled the Jonestown pavilion as Jones lobbied for suicide.

If you do not want to be absolutely traumatized by the end of this recording and think about it non-stop for several days, like I, it is best to not play it.

Its a very sad recording indeed, especially when you read the transcripts. I can not fathom how this happened. How all these people just threw core morals and values out of the window and murdered each other, including children.

I suppose this is a warning for us all, as it shows how powerful a collective can become in overriding basic human decency.

Uncanny. The recording is ******.

Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: The Cursed Audio Tape: Jonestown
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 03:17:45 PM »
Jones was one sick puppy.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 12:20:18 PM »
People tend to oversimplify Jonestown; since reading about the whole thing, I've stopped using the phrase "drank the Kool-Aid," and not just because they used Flavor-Ade.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 04:00:10 PM »
People tend to oversimplify Jonestown; since reading about the whole thing, I've stopped using the phrase "drank the Kool-Aid," and not just because they used Flavor-Ade.
Because many were forced with syringes.

It was something absolutely terrifying.

For some reason the 50s to 70s really had an influx of cults like this. Perhaps due to the war, civil right movement and drugs...
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon