Author Topic: Life signature found on Venus  (Read 5389 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Life signature found on Venus
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2020, 01:17:09 PM »
Maybe it's just the protomolecule.

Maybe there is a process that we haven't thought of to produce these molecules(my best guess).
I keep thinking about the extreme conditions where life is found to exist on Earth a place where life exists. These life forms have had a long time to adapt to extreme conditions.
That being said the "alien" life forms would have to be existent for adaptions to occur.  My guess is that there will not be life forms found on Venus or Mars for that matter although I give Mars a leg up on Venus.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2020, 03:09:11 PM »
Because of the extreme nature of the Venusian environment, if you fully read the study, they spent time evaluating the possibility of a natural source. Although it can be produced by volcanism, etc it is the volumes of the gas that point to life as the source. It also follows a pattern of following a temperate temperature range of the clouds. If it is from another source, the biochemist/chemist cannot come up with a mechanism for it. It’s all very intriguing.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2020, 12:53:47 AM »

Maybe there is a process that we haven't thought of to produce these molecules(my best guess).
I keep thinking about the extreme conditions where life is found to exist on Earth a place where life exists. These life forms have had a long time to adapt to extreme conditions.
That being said the "alien" life forms would have to be existent for adaptions to occur. My guess is that there will not be life forms found on Venus or Mars for that matter although I give Mars a leg up on Venus.

It seems there may be evidence that both planets had liquid water oceans in the past, so it is possible that life got a start on both planets, but then was essentially snuffed out; on Mars because it was too small to hold onto its atmosphere, and on Venus because its proximity to the sun cause the runaway greenhouse effect that turned it into the extremely hostile environment we see today.

I consider myself to be well-read on this sort of subject but I'm no planetary scientist so I could be wrong, however it seems obvious to me that if life did get a start on either planet and had time to adapt when the hammer started to fall, then those briny lakes on Mars and the temperate regions in Venus' atmosphere seem the most likely places to look for surviving extremophiles. 

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2020, 10:28:59 PM »

That being said the "alien" life forms would have to be existent for adaptions to occur. My guess is that there will not be life forms found on Venus or Mars for that matter although I give Mars a leg up on Venus.

It seems there may be evidence that both planets had liquid water oceans in the past, so it is possible that life got a start on both planets, but then was essentially snuffed out; on Mars because it was too small to hold onto its atmosphere, and on Venus because its proximity to the sun cause the runaway greenhouse effect that turned it into the extremely hostile environment we see today.

I consider myself to be well-read on this sort of subject but I'm no planetary scientist so I could be wrong, however it seems obvious to me that if life did get a start on either planet and had time to adapt when the hammer started to fall, then those briny lakes on Mars and the temperate regions in Venus' atmosphere seem the most likely places to look for surviving extremophiles.
Would you post a link to Venus having water?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 10:30:48 PM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2020, 11:33:00 PM »

Would you post a link to Venus having water?

https://www.universetoday.com/36291/is-there-water-on-venus/
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2020, 02:04:10 PM »
Thanks.  It is a guess as with most guesses that are predicated on observations made today, the theory may be correct or incorrect.  I guess I side toward the being correct, but the location of Venus may have precluded water from accumulating. There are many observations that lean toward a observation o Earth that may not be correct somewhere else.  Only time will tell whether the conclusion of life on Venus exists even in the microbiologic state.
Eugene Cernan