Author Topic: Kids say the darnedest things...  (Read 72288 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: Kids say the darnedest things...
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2021, 07:48:33 AM »
;D

I'm not an Aussie, I just hear it at sporting events.

I've also seen a strange take on the loyalty oath the American kids are supposed to take each day.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1988-08-21-0060250076-story.html

Ha! Nice one too.

Of course, one other thing about Advance Australia Fair (something I might have mentioned before) is that it provides virtually the only opportunity for English speakers anywhere in the world to use the word "girt".

Which in turn is fodder for comedians ("can you imagine a criminal stuck in a house and the police sergeant comes up and yells, 'You might as well surrender, we have you girt!'") and a great opportunity for kids to butcher: my wife says that the son of a friend used to render the line "our home is girt by sea" as "our home is dirt by sea"...

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2021, 10:05:41 AM »
;D

I've also seen a strange take on the loyalty oath the American kids are supposed to take each day.

I have to say, our son was instructed very firmly during his last school year that he was under no circumstances expected to pledge the flag.  Of course, he was instructed that by me, while his classmates were doing it.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #197 on: October 09, 2021, 08:30:21 PM »
Damned by faint praise...

9YOD to Mummy: You're not an elderly hag-bag, Mummy, you're beautiful!

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #198 on: October 10, 2021, 02:47:48 PM »
;D

I have to say, our son was instructed very firmly during his last school year that he was under no circumstances expected to pledge the flag.  Of course, he was instructed that by me, while his classmates were doing it.

You have a problem with the Pledge of Allegiance?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2021, 09:24:12 AM »

For starters, I'm quite certain my son doesn't really understand a lot of it, and I don't want him reciting something he doesn't understand.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2021, 12:21:02 PM »

For starters, I'm quite certain my son doesn't really understand a lot of it, and I don't want him reciting something he doesn't understand.

So you're telling him to do something he really doesn't understand either.
You sidestepped answering my question.  Do you have a problem with the Pledge of Allegiance? 
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #201 on: October 12, 2021, 09:49:32 AM »
You sidestepped answering my question.  Do you have a problem with the Pledge of Allegiance? 

I'm telling him not to say words he doesn't understand just because they're expected of him.

But, yes, I do.  For starters, I have a serious problem with "under God."  I also have a problem with pledging allegiance to a flag, as opposed to the ideals of my country.  Which certainly include liberty and justice for all, but we aren't there yet and I don't think we should pretend we are.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #202 on: October 12, 2021, 02:03:14 PM »

I'm telling him not to say words he doesn't understand just because they're expected of him.

But, yes, I do.  For starters, I have a serious problem with "under God."  I also have a problem with pledging allegiance to a flag, as opposed to the ideals of my country.  Which certainly include liberty and justice for all, but we aren't there yet and I don't think we should pretend we are.

As long as you explain it to him so that he understands your meaning, otherwise you are teaching him to ignore/disregard the schools' program.  That would be a very bad idea that might extend to disregarding any institutional directions including parental.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #203 on: October 13, 2021, 03:05:24 AM »
Should I be reassured?

= = = =

As I'm heading out the door to the office, I say good bye to the kids.

11YOS: Don't worry, we won't annoy Mum or burn down the house.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #204 on: October 13, 2021, 09:47:17 AM »
As long as you explain it to him so that he understands your meaning, otherwise you are teaching him to ignore/disregard the schools' program.  That would be a very bad idea that might extend to disregarding any institutional directions including parental.

He has a legal right not to say the Pledge.  Still, we've had several conversations about it and what it means, including actually going through it word-by-word and teaching him literally what things like "indivisible" even mean, which none of his classmates knew when we talked about it.  Or if they did, it wasn't from having it explained in class.  I'd also like him to tell me if he's uncomfortable with any other assignment he's given in class; you don't have to dig too deep to find stories of teachers who absolutely shouldn't be obeyed in certain assignments.

I watch a lot of Ask a Mortician on YouTube.  The other day, we saw an episode where she said, "Did you really think we were going to get through an Iconic Corpse without a 'seeecret embalming technique'?"  To which Zane responded, "We barely get through a normal episode without one of those."

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #205 on: October 16, 2021, 10:59:05 AM »

He has a legal right not to say the Pledge.

Of course he has the right as all citizens do, I have not insinuated otherwise.

Still, we've had several conversations about it and what it means, including actually going through it word-by-word and teaching him literally what things like "indivisible" even mean, which none of his classmates knew when we talked about it.  Or if they did, it wasn't from having it explained in class.  I'd also like him to tell me if he's uncomfortable with any other assignment he's given in class; you don't have to dig too deep to find stories of teachers who absolutely shouldn't be obeyed in certain assignments.

I watch a lot of Ask a Mortician on YouTube.  The other day, we saw an episode where she said, "Did you really think we were going to get through an Iconic Corpse without a 'seeecret embalming technique'?"  To which Zane responded, "We barely get through a normal episode without one of those."

Since I don't watch the series would you mind informing me as to what relevance the last paragraph has to do do with my initial question?
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2021, 11:20:20 AM »
It doesn't; it's a funny thing my kid said and therefore relevant to the thread as a whole.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #207 on: November 08, 2021, 04:44:37 AM »
8YOD asked at dinnertime how the Vice President of the USA is chosen (it was part of a story discussing and comparing Kamala Harris and Dan Quayle...no, never mind).

We didn't have time to answer then, but after dinner I took her aside and explained it to her. This then led to further questions, and more after that.

The discussion finished forty minutes later, but only because she had to go to bed...

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #208 on: November 08, 2021, 06:51:03 AM »
... comparing Kamala Harris and Dan Quayle....
"You say potato, I say potatoe"  ;D
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #209 on: November 08, 2021, 07:42:31 AM »
... comparing Kamala Harris and Dan Quayle....
"You say potato, I say potatoe"  ;D

Yep.

And the story about not learning Latin when talking about Latin America.

And the Murphy Brown story.

All three kids were laughing in disbelief.