Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 478862 times)

Offline BazBear

• Mars
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #315 on: October 05, 2012, 08:45:32 AM »
Lucky you Gillian! I guess I haven't busted his chops enough to rate a sock impersonation. Boo hoo, but I'll get over it 8)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #316 on: October 05, 2012, 08:50:27 AM »
You could always go over the the Economists and have a go at him.  Wouldn't that be fun?  :P
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #317 on: October 05, 2012, 02:21:50 PM »
Maybe it took him so long because I'm not one of the scientists.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #318 on: October 05, 2012, 07:26:01 PM »
Nomuse (and others inc Gillian and Jay), I think you are very correct in your reading of the 'signs' that are of concern.

At the Economist, I invited PT to contact me via my real email (which is not hard to find/guess).  Perhaps not entirely unsurprisingly, he has done so.  The lengthy tomes :D I have received are relatively polite, but also either directly or indirectly verify many (in fact.. pretty much all) of the suspicions I had about the situation.  I have not done much in the way of responding while I wait for him to answer a couple of questions *honestly* to ensure his 'good faith' (if such a thing is even remotely possible given the circumstances).

At the moment I will leave it at that and watch what unfolds...

What a strange place is this 'Interweb' thing, and what strange denizens populate it (mineself included).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:28:26 PM by ChrLz »

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #319 on: October 05, 2012, 08:45:40 PM »
He certainly has been productive.  Two new puppets at the JREF, copy-and-paste content at a newly registered ID at Godlike (and and unknown number of supporting socks.)

You'd think with all the work creating cover stories and working his ISP annonomizer, he'd invest in something that hides his distinctive voice.  There's a company I had sporadic contact with that runs a text-based online multiplayer game.  They were messing around with Markov chains to make their NPCs more interesting (and doing some clever stuff so when two players didn't share a language, they'd each see convincing -- and consistent! -- gibberish.)

His latest at the JREF was obvious before the first paragraph ended.

In other news, IDW still pops his head up at Godlike, but he hasn't said anything new in years.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #320 on: October 06, 2012, 04:05:41 AM »
You could always go over the the Economists and have a go at him.  Wouldn't that be fun?  :P
Naaa, that's okay, I see enough of him at JREF! :D
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #321 on: October 06, 2012, 08:32:23 PM »
In other news, IDW still pops his head up at Godlike, but he hasn't said anything new in years.

Is he this guy that is currently posting as "RelentlesslyClever" and spends most of his time talking about poop?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #322 on: October 06, 2012, 08:50:59 PM »
Is he this guy that is currently posting as "RelentlesslyClever" and spends most of his time talking about poop?
Yep.  It's his obsessi speciality..

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #323 on: October 06, 2012, 10:11:52 PM »

No.  Relentlessly Clever is Patrick aka Dr Socks.  IDW was on at least one of those threads but he doesn't usually log in as he is usually banned on site.

Edit to add:
IDW posted on this thread
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2006507/pg1
as "Anonymous Astrophysicist" with ID number 1400413
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:17:50 PM by frenat »
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #324 on: October 07, 2012, 01:04:08 AM »
To back up a step, one stumbling block when it comes to diagnosing mental illness in an individual on the basis of their stated beliefs is determining cause-and-effect.

An individual with a diagnosable mental illness may well exhibit irrational beliefs because of the illness, but holding irrational beliefs is not in itself a sign of mental illness.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #325 on: October 07, 2012, 02:07:46 AM »
Oops. sorry, didn't read the post being replied to..  And yes, it's Patrick - he's admitted it.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #326 on: October 18, 2012, 07:06:55 PM »

No.  Relentlessly Clever is Patrick aka Dr Socks.  IDW was on at least one of those threads but he doesn't usually log in as he is usually banned on site.

Edit to add:

It looks like Patrick will fit in well on GLP.  He's got himself a paid membership so he can moderate (silence his critics) his own threads

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #327 on: October 18, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »
He can post on GLP for his own amusement until his heart's content.  The photo for his Doctor Tee avatar looks very much like photos of a certain San Francisco physician, seen elsewhere on the web. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #328 on: October 18, 2012, 07:53:25 PM »
He can post on GLP for his own amusement until his heart's content.  The photo for his Doctor Tee avatar looks very much like photos of a certain San Francisco physician, seen elsewhere on the web. 

And what a professional looking photo it is too!

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #329 on: October 19, 2012, 07:23:26 PM »

Edit to add:

It looks like Patrick will fit in well on GLP.  He's got himself a paid membership so he can moderate (silence his critics) his own threads

And been making good use of it.  I haven't bothered trying to document (around there?!) but I've noticed an absence of several posts I made in his threads.