Author Topic: ATK's Liberty Capsule  (Read 5276 times)

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
ATK's Liberty Capsule
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:14:09 PM »
ATK are announcing manned flights to the ISS on their custom built capsule by 2015, using a European / US rocket.

The capsule:

http://moonandback.com/2012/07/05/atk-unveils-unique-liberty-capability/

The rocket:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_(rocket)

Does anyone think this has any legs whatsoever? I'm incredibly skeptical of this announcement, as 3 years in the current climate seems a trifle optimistic. What do you guys think?
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
Re: ATK's Liberty Capsule
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 06:34:24 PM »
Contrast with the Falcon 9: it requires transporting massive solid fuel segments around and assembling them into a quite poor-performing and environmentally unfriendly first stage, it requires massive vibration damping systems to keep the vehicle and payload intact, it can't be tested prior to launch, it can't abort without destroying the vehicle and putting any launch escape systems to the test (while the Falcon 9 just recently demonstrated the capability to abort due to abnormal conditions detected after ignition, and launch a few days later after replacing a component), it requires coordinating multiple companies based in different countries, with all the additional paperwork and red tape that involves...

ATK has some major political support, that's the only reason this thing has any chance of flying.

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »
ATK has some major political support, that's the only reason this thing has any chance of flying.

My thoughts as well, since ATK provided the SRBs for the Shuttle and employs many people Florida and surrounding states (i.e. pork) it has a good chance of being chosen for the next round of NASA funding.

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 06:44:55 PM »
it requires transporting massive solid fuel segments around and assembling them into a quite poor-performing and environmentally unfriendly first stage, it requires massive vibration damping systems to keep the vehicle and payload intact

Coincidentally, they happened to be the main criticisms of the Ares I as well, a rocket which ATK was heavily involved in.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:47:59 PM by Inanimate Carbon Rod »