Author Topic: Quiz!  (Read 56624 times)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Quiz!
« on: March 02, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
I'll start off with an easy one.

Which astronauts went to the Moon twice?

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: Quiz!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 02:41:10 PM »
Cernan Lovell Young

I've always wondered why Stafford didn't get a moon landing mission?
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:24:34 PM »
Cernan Lovell Young
Of course, none landed twice. Only Cernan and Young orbited on two missions; Lovell only orbited on one since Apollo 13 was a lunar fly-by.
Good question. Probably a personal choice. I think he's the highest-ranked military US astronaut, so perhaps military promotions meant more to him than additional flights. He certainly wasn't too old for a lunar flight; he's the same age as Pete Conrad and John Young, and while he's older than Gene Cernan and Dave Scott he's younger than Jim Lovell. Alan Shepard, 7 years older than Stafford and Young, was criticized for being too old for his lunar flight but Apollo 14 was an unusually strenuous lunar mission (long EVA hikes without a rover).

Stafford seems to have gone into NASA management as of 1971, presumably removing him from active flight consideration for the near term. But of all the US astronauts of that era he seems to have had the strongest personal interest in the Soviet manned space program, so that made him the natural to come out of retirement and command ASTP in 1975.  I can't imagine the physical training for ASTP was anything like that for an Apollo lunar mission or even Skylab. I'm sure ASTP was mostly about learning the Russian language and an entirely different set of pilots, hardware, procedures, cultures and institutional politics. I bet he spent far more time on international travel than any other US astronaut of his time.

Still, considering his very quick and cool-headed reaction to the N2O4 emergency during the ASTP entry, he was as capable an Apollo commander as anyone. He quite likely saved his crew's lives by getting them onto emergency O2 under extremely difficult conditions. One (Brand) had already passed out, and without help he could well have died.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:32:07 PM by ka9q »

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:50:18 AM »
Here's another one:
One of the FIDO flight controllers 'invented' the nickname "Captain REFSMMAT". What was his name? And what was the name of the 'enemy' of the Captain?

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »

I thought he was offered one but turned it down so he could concentrate on ASTP.

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 12:45:03 PM »
Here's another one:
One of the FIDO flight controllers 'invented' the nickname "Captain REFSMMAT". What was his name? And what was the name of the 'enemy' of the Captain?
Google makes this too easy.  All your answers in one link:
http://airspeedonline.blogspot.com/2006/05/steely-eyed-missile-man-capt-refsmmat.html
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 01:53:55 PM »

I thought he was offered one but turned it down so he could concentrate on ASTP.

As unfathomable as turning down a all expenses paid trip to the moon is to me, Cernan also turned down an assignment as LMP, telling Slayton he would only go as mission commander.  The gamble paid off for him giving him the greatest time on the surface among all astronauts and becoming the last man on the moon.

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 05:24:02 PM »
Here's another one:
Google makes this too easy.  All your answers in one link:
http://airspeedonline.blogspot.com/2006/05/steely-eyed-missile-man-capt-refsmmat.html

You're right. I wonder what is not being answered by any of the search engines...

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »

As unfathomable as turning down a all expenses paid trip to the moon is to me, Cernan also turned down an assignment as LMP, telling Slayton he would only go as mission commander.  The gamble paid off for him giving him the greatest time on the surface among all astronauts and becoming the last man on the moon.

But he did crash his helicopter into a lake, which taught him a little humility.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:29:24 AM »
Didn't that helicopter incident come close to getting him yanked from Apollo 17? I think McDivitt was especially keen on doing that.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 01:38:50 PM »
If it did, I don't know if Geno knew about it.  He was interrogated by Deke, effectively was offered the chance to lie his way out of it, but he refused and confessed to pilot error.  That was his account of it in his book.  He actually said he thought the integrity was a big factor in him keeping him assignment.

I just remember it being played for laughs with his humiliation in front of Al Shepard and his fruit loops.

Offline DataCable

• Earth
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »
...becoming the last man on the moon.
Schmitt was the last man on the moon.  Cernan was the man last on the moon.

Where was Eagle located when its RCS blast deflectors were installed?
Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 07:48:52 AM »

Where was Eagle located when its RCS blast deflectors were installed?

I disagree.  I would also say to a group of men in a room, " will the last man to leave turn off the lights, not the "man last to leave."  Cernan also uses the phrase "Last Man on the Moon" as the title of his book.

The Eagle was tucked snugly inside the Saturn Five when the deflectors were installed.  What I don't know for sure is whether it was in the VAB or on the pad.  I suspect it was in the VAB.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 09:09:21 AM »

I disagree.  I would also say to a group of men in a room, " will the last man to leave turn off the lights, not the "man last to leave."  Cernan also uses the phrase "Last Man on the Moon" as the title of his book.

The meaning, I think, depends on the context.  For instance, if we're all sitting in a room waiting for a meeting to start and I ask "who was last in the room", I think we would all take that to mean "who was last to enter the room."  On the other hand, if we're all standing around in the hallway after the meeting and I were to ask the same question, surely everyone would interpret that to mean "who was last to exit the room."  Same question, different meaning depending on context.  If my latter question was intended to mean something other than "who was last to exit the room", I would have to take care to establish the context so my meaning is clear.  For instance, I might ask "who was last to arrive at the meeting this morning."

Extending this logic to the moon, one could say that while the astronauts were walking around on the surface, the last man on the moon was Schmitt because he was last to step outside.  But now that they've left the moon, the last man on the moon was Cernan because he was last to leave the surface.  In normal circumstances, I don't think Schmitt is a reasonable answer to the question "who was the last man on the moon."  If the questioner's intent is to mean Schmitt rather than Cernan, I think the question must be phrased in a way that establishes the context, such as, "who was the last man to step outside the LM and make his first footprints on the moon."

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 09:29:08 AM »

The meaning, I think, depends on the context.  For instance, if we're all sitting in a room waiting for a meeting to start and I ask "who was last in the room", I think we would all take that to mean "who was last to enter the room."  On the other hand, if we're all standing around in the hallway after the meeting and I were to ask the same question, surely everyone would interpret that to mean "who was last to exit the room."  Same question, different meaning depending on context.  If my latter question was intended to mean something other than "who was last to exit the room", I would have to take care to establish the context so my meaning is clear.  For instance, I might ask "who was last to arrive at the meeting this morning."

Extending this logic to the moon, one could say that while the astronauts were walking around on the surface, the last man on the moon was Schmitt because he was last to step outside.  But now that they've left the moon, the last man on the moon was Cernan because he was last to leave the surface.  In normal circumstances, I don't think Schmitt is a reasonable answer to the question "who was the last man on the moon."  If the questioner's intent is to mean Schmitt rather than Cernan, I think the question must be phrased in a way that establishes the context, such as, "who was the last man to step outside the LM and make his first footprints on the moon."

Right.  The word "last" refers to the most recent event to which it is relevant.  That is the common American usage.