Author Topic: Golden Spike Company plans on a monn mission within a decade  (Read 4818 times)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Golden Spike Company plans on a monn mission within a decade
« on: December 07, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »
From Ars Technica

Space exploration aficionados, already a bit worn after all the activity this year, have just been delivered another piece of news. The mysterious Golden Spike Company went public today with the announcement of plans to offer human expeditions to the Moon's surface.

While the company has gained some plausibility through its board of directors and industrial partners, the lack general lack of information on details and funding seem to make hopeful skepticism the best approach to this project. 

But on the bright side maybe we can now give BS and the Australian Kid those one way trips we have all hoped they would take.   Assuming they have any relevance remaining by the time Golden Spike gets into service.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline BazBear

• Mars
Re: Golden Spike Company plans on a monn mission within a decade
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
I don't think those buffoons deserve a trip to the moon; better to send them to what the typo in your thread title says, Echnaton, the monn, and yes, a one way trip.  ;)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 03:17:56 PM »
Virgin Galactic is 5 years overdue so I would say the punctuality of these claims makes British Rail look good.

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:44:10 PM »
I like the top rated comment:

Give me a few months, and I think I can buy one of these tickets. Of course, they must be willing to bill $1000 to 1.5 million separate credit cards.

That's exactly what I had in mind.

I'll believe this when I see it. Call me skeptical.
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
It actually makes rather more sense than a lot of the other "space tourist" schemes. It's not just a few minutes of freefall, it's delivery of personnel to the lunar surface, something of far more value than a thrill ride. Don't think of it as a moon vacation for rich people, think of it as a lunar space program for countries that can't afford the cost and risk of developing their own launcher and manned spacecraft and lander.