Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 832268 times)

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #285 on: December 30, 2012, 10:50:09 AM »
Re sea level - which one do you refer to? High tide? Low tide?

How much difference in altitude is there between the two? How much difference in potential energy is there between the two, and what difference does it make to the fuel requirements or speed of travel? Somewhat less than that involved in space travel, now, isn't it?

Maybe Heiwa thinks you have to go "uphill" at high tide!  ;D
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #286 on: December 30, 2012, 10:50:56 AM »

Of course I have been told that Apollo 13 (service module out of order) with pure luck managed to steer close to the Moon (requiring fuel) using the LM engine/fuel/steering aids, so it could swing around the Moon using its gravity and then, at the right moment managed to change direction towards Earth (requiring more fuel), etc, etc, blah, blah, to land safely on Earth.
All nonsense of course! The NASA SF writers produced a little drama ... assisted by Hollywood. I assume you are sorry you cannot win 1 million Euro?
Luck? No, gravity. It was moving too fast to be actually captured into a lunar orbit, but slow enough for the flight path to be influenced by the gravity, curving around the moon, back toward the Earth, thanks to  Earth's stronger gravity. Luna 3, which captured the first images of the lunar farside, followed a similar trajectory.
Finally, and I am going to keep hounding you on this, Apollo ablative heat shielding materials information is not a secret.

Offline Heiwa

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #287 on: December 30, 2012, 10:51:12 AM »
High tide or low tide doesn't matter. Again, this is something that the ship does not have to compensate for. Wherever it goes, wherever it sets out from, wherever it ends up and whatever conditions it meets on the journey, barring disaster it will always end up in port floating on top of the water, just like when it left.

Sorry, you do not know what you are talking about. At low tide you can see the sea floor and there is nothing to float on. You have hit the bottom, so to say.
I have a distinct feeling this Apollohoaxforum is run by some bored, retired NASA hoaxsters with bad pensions and nagging wifes or husbands in some lousy subdivision where most houses are empty.
So, bye, bye. You are not really fun.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #288 on: December 30, 2012, 10:53:50 AM »
Now where was that bingo sheet again . . .? ::)

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #289 on: December 30, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »
High tide or low tide doesn't matter. Again, this is something that the ship does not have to compensate for. Wherever it goes, wherever it sets out from, wherever it ends up and whatever conditions it meets on the journey, barring disaster it will always end up in port floating on top of the water, just like when it left.

Sorry, you do not know what you are talking about. At low tide you can see the sea floor and there is nothing to float on. You have hit the bottom, so to say.
I have a distinct feeling this Apollohoaxforum is run by some bored, retired NASA hoaxsters with bad pensions and nagging wifes or husbands in some lousy subdivision where most houses are empty.

Aah, the "goodbye cruel forum flounce".

For the record,
I have never worked for NASA, I have never even been to the US.
I don't draw a pension because I work, being nowhere near retirement age.
I live on a nice quiet street in the UK with no empty houses (not sure why that matters).
My husband is a wonderful man, and you can ask him yourself what he thinks of me.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #290 on: December 30, 2012, 10:55:42 AM »
No-one is upset, Heiwa, since no-one ever believed you had the million euros to start with. Quite sniping and deal with the substance of the arguments being presented or else clear off and pollute some other forum with your ridiculous ignorance.

He already has.  He got his arse handed to him on UniverseToday.

Here?

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #291 on: December 30, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »
No-one is upset, Heiwa, since no-one ever believed you had the million euros to start with. Quite sniping and deal with the substance of the arguments being presented or else clear off and pollute some other forum with your ridiculous ignorance.

He already has.  He got his arse handed to him on UniverseToday.

Here?

Indeed.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #292 on: December 30, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »

Oh yes, I can just see all those puzzled dock workers standing on the edge of the port wondering why they didn't think to build the port in a place where there was enough water to float on at any tide level. ...

You really are an idiot, aren't you?

And BINGO! There it is. The usual parting shot of a dissatisfied hoax believer who can't understand that reality doesn't conform to his expectations because they are wrong, and that many people understand the world better than they do.

Never fun to be told how absurd you are, is it? Please do let the door hit you on your way out.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #293 on: December 30, 2012, 10:57:21 AM »
My husband is a wonderful man, and you can ask him yourself what he thinks of me.

Consider the sentiment appreciated and reciprocated. :)
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #294 on: December 30, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »

Consider the sentiment appreciated and reciprocated. :)

We're so awesome.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #295 on: December 30, 2012, 11:03:07 AM »
Heiwa, thank you. You have provided a couple nights entertainment and a good education from reading the replies to your comments.
For this, I salute you, sir.

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #296 on: December 30, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Of course I have been told that Apollo 13 (service module out of order) with pure luck managed to steer close to the Moon (requiring fuel) using the LM engine/fuel/steering aids, so it could swing around the Moon using its gravity and then, at the right moment managed to change direction towards Earth (requiring more fuel), etc, etc, blah, blah, to land safely on Earth.

The CSM/LM stack was already sent towards the moon by the S-IVB stage by the time the accident occurred. It's fun to compare the massive lack of relevant knowledge with your arrogance. They should put your picture in the encyclopedias, right under "Dunning-Kruger effect".

All nonsense of course! The NASA SF writers produced a little drama ... assisted by Hollywood. I assume you are sorry you cannot win 1 million Euro?
Well, no, at least one in the audience is amused by your proudly displayed ignorance. So please keep the clown show going!

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #297 on: December 30, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »
I wrote an interesting article in Journal of Engineering Mechanics some years back about why the WTC-towers could not globally progressively collapse from top down as seen live on TV in USA and you find a copy there.
Just looked that up.  What you published in JEM was a discussion paper in reply to a paper by Prof. Bazant.  Bazant's reply is polite, but he obviously has your number:
Although the discusser uses some mechanics terms such as velocity and acceleration, nothing can be deduced without actually formulating and solving the equations of motion.
In other words, you have opinions but you can't do the maths required to back them up.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #298 on: December 30, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »
Ok I'm holding a mourning party for all of us devastated that we narrowly missed out on riches. I will also demonstrate how Heiwa could not possibly be a boating engineer by placing metal objects in my bath and watching them sink thereby proving beyond a doubt that ships cannot possibly float on water. The more you drink the funnier it will become. Who is in?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:28:38 AM by dwight »
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
« Reply #299 on: December 30, 2012, 11:29:56 AM »
Quote from: Prof. Bazant
Although the discusser uses some mechanics terms such as velocity and acceleration, nothing can be deduced without actually formulating and solving the equations of motion.

Hah. Basically, "there's a superficial resemblance to engineering here, but nothing more". Heiwa/Anders Björkman has certainly demonstrated that knowing a few technical terms doesn't equate to comprehension.