Author Topic: Lunar Reconnaisance Orbiter  (Read 19185 times)

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:26:13 PM by Andromeda »
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Lunar Reconnaisance Orbiter
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2012, 01:17:32 PM »
I realize he's gone, but as a person who knows something about psychology, let me observe that telling someone you're smarter than they are is not always a sign of an inferiority complex.  In fact, it's seldom a sign of an inferiority complex.  It is much more likely--as in this case--to be a sign of frustration with someone showing off.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »
It's a shame that someone can be accused of having psychological problems simply by exhibiting high self-esteem.  I don't mean so much in this specific case, but more as a general thing.  It's a shame that some people can't allow others to be proud of their achievements.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2012, 01:52:16 PM »
I believe it is what is known as the crab-bucket effect, from the story of a fisherman who didn't need to put a lid on his bucket of crabs, because if one tried to get out the other would grab them back down.
One can have too much of a sense of self importance, but a healthy self esteem is by no means a bad thing.