Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Eclipse 2024
« Last post by jfb on April 11, 2024, 12:34:46 PM »
We drove in to Liberty Hill just north of Austin; while our house was technically in the zone of totality, we'd only get like 11 seconds or so.  Clouds were problematic right up until totality, and then the sky cleared like magic.  Got some extremely bad cell phone pics, but no pictures can do it justice anyway. 
The Hoax Theory / Re: Saturn V Third Stage - Not enough room
« Last post by jfb on April 11, 2024, 11:29:34 AM »
Is there a website which literally adds up the bits within the Third stage that shows it does all fit

You could go to the source: Apollo Saturn V Flight Manual.

Although this site works as well, with some other historical context.  All of the following diagrams are taken from there. 

The Saturn V rocket is everything from the Instrument Unit on down.  The LM is not part of that volume. 

These are the rocket stages, with dimensions:

S-IC (first stage):

S-II (second stage):

S-IVB (third stage):

S-IVB tank construction:

As is clear from the diagrams, engines and pumps took up space in the interstages; some lines were routed through the tanks, some around the tanks, etc.  Other diagrams at the site show how tanks were constructed, how engines were mounted to thrust structures, how fuel flow worked, etc. 

It's not light reading (unless you're a freak), but it shows that yes, Virginia, you could fit everything you needed within the Saturn V's volume (remembering that the spacecraft are not part of that volume). 
« Last post by JayUtah on April 10, 2024, 09:36:35 AM »
I was at Belton Lake in Texas. Like the folks in San Antonio, I was leery about the cloud cover (50-70%). But we had a clear patch at the right time and had some great viewing.
« Last post by Ranb on April 09, 2024, 10:21:52 PM »
I caught a brief view of a partial through a hole in the clouds for a few seconds in San Antonio, but it went away before I could get a photo.
« Last post by grmcdorman on April 09, 2024, 05:03:27 PM »
I should travel to Spain for the 2026 one there :-)

I bet clear skies are pretty much guaranteed in Spain.
I hear the rain in Spain falls mostly on the plain. Or so it is ... sung.
« Last post by LunarOrbit on April 09, 2024, 11:18:02 AM »
I should travel to Spain for the 2026 one there :-)

I bet clear skies are pretty much guaranteed in Spain.
« Last post by grmcdorman on April 09, 2024, 10:18:08 AM »
Saw it in Niagara Falls, ON. Overcast, but it did peek through from time to time. Did not see the corona, but did catch a glimpse of the "diamond ring" just at the end of totality. Totality was something else, it was _nighttime_.

My brother (who lives in Germany) says I should travel to Spain for the 2026 one there :-)
« Last post by Obviousman on April 08, 2024, 08:29:44 PM »
How was it in Texas? I want to see if 'The Curse of Bob' still holds.
« Last post by Peter B on April 08, 2024, 06:10:30 PM »
Traveled to Texas to join an event hosted by alma mater’s space physics department.  Currently the weather is pretty bad and looks pretty bad tomorrow.  We’ll see.  Would be content with a hazy view through breaks in the thicker stuff.  The upside is that the location has real bathrooms.

Always the mark of civilisation. It's nice to know the USA is occasionally up to that mark.  ;)
« Last post by LunarOrbit on April 08, 2024, 05:16:51 PM »
Well, the clouds cleared enough to see the eclipse here, but my telescope skills failed me.

I did manage to get one decent image with my DSLR, though.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10