Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Kids say the darnedest things...
« Last post by Peter B on November 27, 2021, 07:11:02 PM »
My name is Inigo Montoya...

= = = =

We had a family movie night last night, watching "The Princess Bride" (and if you haven't watched it yet, do yourself a favour!).

Me (before the movie): You may hear some strange things. Please don't comment on them at the time. Just watch the movie and go with the flow.

Vizzini: ...and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals!

11YOS: No it isn't!

Me: !!
General Discussion / Re: James Webb Space Telescope
« Last post by Peter B on November 26, 2021, 07:28:53 PM »
I'm starting to think this mission is cursed...

The launch readiness date for the James Webb Space Telescope is moving to no earlier than Dec. 22 to allow for additional testing of the observatory, following a recent incident that occurred during Webb’s launch preparations.

The incident occurred during operations at the satellite preparation facility in Kourou, French Guiana, performed under Arianespace overall responsibility. Technicians were preparing to attach Webb to the launch vehicle adapter, which is used to integrate the observatory with the upper stage of the Ariane 5 rocket. A sudden, unplanned release of a clamp band – which secures Webb to the launch vehicle adapter – caused a vibration throughout the observatory.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2021/11/22/nasa-provides-update-on-webb-telescope-launch/

Isn't that what they said about Hubble?

At least Hubble was fixable.

If it turns out to not be fit for its original mission it could be expended in a DART 2 mission?  ;)
« Last post by bknight on November 24, 2021, 10:19:18 PM »

The launch readiness date for the James Webb Space Telescope is moving to no earlier than Dec. 22 to allow for additional testing of the observatory, following a recent incident that occurred during Webb’s launch preparations.

The incident occurred during operations at the satellite preparation facility in Kourou, French Guiana, performed under Arianespace overall responsibility. Technicians were preparing to attach Webb to the launch vehicle adapter, which is used to integrate the observatory with the upper stage of the Ariane 5 rocket. A sudden, unplanned release of a clamp band – which secures Webb to the launch vehicle adapter – caused a vibration throughout the observatory.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2021/11/22/nasa-provides-update-on-webb-telescope-launch/

At least Hubble was fixable.
« Last post by Glom on November 24, 2021, 07:14:00 PM »

« Last post by Peter B on November 23, 2021, 03:45:12 PM »

Per ardua ad astra?
« Last post by bknight on November 23, 2021, 02:13:26 PM »
And the travel pack with telescope has arrived at the launch port.
https://www.universetoday.com/152908/webb-has-arrived-safely-at-the-launch-site/

The Launch has been delayed by an accident.  The NASA technicians down there need to inspect everything and to check if the loading equipment is up to the task.
New launch date NET 22 Dec 21
« Last post by molesworth on November 23, 2021, 05:02:51 AM »

« Last post by gillianren on November 18, 2021, 10:13:46 AM »
Yesterday morning, Zane informed me that he was so happy to be getting his COVID shot that he didn't need his traditional Treat For Getting A Shot.  This did not stop him from accepting popsicles, of course.
« Last post by Peter B on November 18, 2021, 04:33:13 AM »
Can't beat the comeback

= = = =

While the kids were eating their chocolate cookie dessert I was telling them about the Spinlaunch company (after I watched the Scott Manley video).

Me: ...but because of the way it works you can't launch people that way.

8YOD: It sounds like fun!

11YOS: But you can't do it, you'd be squashed!

8YOD: You've got chocolate on your face.
Fun fun fun...

Russia may have just shot down its own satellite, creating a huge debris cloud [Updated]

Russia acknowledges anti-satellite test, but says it’s no big deal

Military and civil branches not talking to each other?  Russia realizing its space program is falling apart and making sure everyone else suffers for it?  Making everyone else look up while Russia takes over Ukraine?  So many conspiracy theories, so little time...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10