Author Topic: Winter hacks  (Read 9663 times)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: Winter hacks
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 06:01:18 PM »
My ultimate winter hack is the remote start system I had installed in my truck after I bought it last year.
I settled for seat warmers.

A friend in college who was from Iowa had a block warmer and a electric heater inside his car.  I don't know what it cost his parents in electricity, but he parked it outside and said it was the only way to actually keep the car drive-able. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline PetersCreek

• Venus
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 04:23:55 PM »
I settled for seat warmers.

My wife has heated seats in her car and wishes that my truck came with them, too.  Alas, at my truck's trim level, they were a very expensive dealer add-on.

A friend in college who was from Iowa had a block warmer and a electric heater inside his car.  I don't know what it cost his parents in electricity, but he parked it outside and said it was the only way to actually keep the car drive-able. 

The block heater was a factory installed option on my truck.  There's even a small storage bracket for the power pigtail.  The rule of thumb here is to plug in below 20°F (-7°C).  Typical power consumption is in the neighborhood of 1000-1500 watts, so I run mine with a timer, three hours before I start my morning commute.

I've been told by slope workers that during winter months, vehicles are run continuously (even when parked for extended periods) until they are garaged.  Friends in Fairbanks have told me it's not unusual for flat spots to setup on the tires of cars parked outside until they've been worked out with a bit of driving.  During my first winter here, we had temps around -30°F in my neighborhood.  My vehicle at the time had a manual transmission and putting it in gear that morning was like stirring lukewarm tar. 

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 08:01:17 PM »
There's always southern California with its Mediterranean (read: paradise) climate.

Doesn't sound like the traffic is any worse than Anchorage.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 10:16:52 PM »
I lived in Southern California for the first eighteen (almost nineteen) years of my life.  I moved.  Paradise?  Only if you really like hundred-plus temperatures.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 02:33:29 AM »
Ooh, yes please.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 04:22:19 AM »
Well, I'm not talking about Death Valley, gillian. I'm in San Diego.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 07:32:08 AM »
My inlaws live in Orange County, CA and the weather there is near to perfect.  Dry warm days and cool nights.  No air conditioning needed and you can stay outdoors all summer.   Fresh oranges off the tree.  etc.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 08:42:05 AM »
All we needed last winter was a wet suit and snorkel.

Offline PetersCreek

• Venus
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 10:35:53 AM »

There's always southern California with its Mediterranean (read: paradise) climate.

Doesn't sound like the traffic is any worse than Anchorage.

I'm not welcome to live in Cali.  Too many guns!  I do travel there for business on occasion, though...mainly the Northern California TRACON (NCT) in Sacramento and SCT in San Diego.  The weather was generally pleasant, if too warm at times but the biggest drawback is that it's just not Alaska.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 12:22:51 PM »
My inlaws live in Orange County, CA and the weather there is near to perfect.  Dry warm days and cool nights.  No air conditioning needed and you can stay outdoors all summer.   Fresh oranges off the tree.  etc.

The last time I was in Orange County was October about five years ago.  It was 105, and we retreated to the hotel for the heat of the day while spending money to be where we were, because it was too hot.  My entire childhood?  Summer meant going inside during the middle of the day unless you had a reason not to, because it was too hot.  I didn't grow up in Death Valley, either. 
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 02:56:18 PM »
The last time I was in Orange County was October about five years ago.  It was 105

It seems to be a great deal warmer as you get further from the coast. They live next to the coastal town, by a matter of blocks, and get cool ocean breezes most of the  time.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 03:22:31 PM »
Back in 199? I did some, factory release testing in Morgan Hill, California, with a company called Wiltron (Taken over by Anritsu). I was testing equipment supplied to BT in the UK and I was out there with a Guy from the UK arm of Anritsu. We borrowed a test rig from the factory, took it back to the hotel. We made a sign saying, "FACTORY RELEASE TESTING DAY 1" and got someone to take pictures of us standing in the hotel pool, connected to the rig with ESP straps and a couple of beers in our hands. :)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)