Author Topic: Yutu in trouble?  (Read 6352 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Yutu in trouble?
« on: January 28, 2014, 03:39:57 AM »
It looks like the Chinese Lunar rover has hit some problems

http://www.universetoday.com/108576/yutu-rover-suffers-significant-setback-at-start-of-2nd-lunar-night/

"The abnormality occurred due to the “complicated lunar surface environment,” said the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence (SASTIND) in a brief statement, without giving further details, according to the paper" I wonder if that's an oblique reference to the problem of Lunar dust? Was it Gene Cernan that described the dust as the biggest technological obstacle to a long-term Lunar mission. 

Here's one solution to the problem:
http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2013/12/if-we-ever-go-back-to-the-moon-how-are-we-going-to-cope-with-its-hidden-hazard/
to prevent astronauts looking like they've just come back from a shift down t'pit

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Yutu in trouble?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:22:25 AM »
I tend to listen to Cernan, if only because he's one of a very few people who's actually been there, and who was there the longest. Dust does look like a very serious problem, but much of that probably came on Apollo because no one had really thought about it. They were worried about so many other problems that turned out to be non-problems, like micrometeroids or being able to physiologically adapt to weightlessness and reduced gravity. But that's the nature of engineering in the unknown.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:24:11 AM by ka9q »

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 12:57:18 PM »
Is it just me, or has this anthropomorphizing of space probes only really started with the explosion of social media on the Internet?

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »
Is it just me, or has this anthropomorphizing of space probes only really started with the explosion of social media on the Internet?

This has been a natural tendency for people for a long time. I remember writers attaching human attributes to Sputnik in 1957.

If I hear one more reference to "angry suns" on pop-sci tv, I may go postal.  ;)
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 03:23:40 AM »
Oh, absolute, but what I meant was from a public relations standpoint, in particular the use of a space craft persona, giving it an 'I' in released material.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 07:34:51 AM »
When spacecraft have personal Twitter pages, it seems only right to allow them something of an individual personality.  https://twitter.com/ESA_Rosetta
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:04:05 AM »
Well, if it means anything I'm also annoyed by overly anthromorphizing non-living and non-sentient devices, even if they are very sophisticated and interesting otherwise.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:42:43 PM »
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer dooo.........
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 12:25:21 AM »
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer dooo.........
In a semi-interesting bit of trivia, that song was chosen because it was the first song sung by a voice synthesiser in human history. It's both eerie and endearing.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:45:12 AM by raven »

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 06:33:36 AM »
I have no problem with websites and twitter pages for robotic spacecraft to get the public more engaged. But why not just let the people on the project express their personalities? Certainly they're excited about their spacecraft and what it's doing, otherwise they wouldn't be working on it.

I'd think most members of the public would have an easier time connecting with a flesh-and-blood human, even an engineer, than a cutesy made-up "persona" that would, I think, insult the intelligence of all but very young children. But that's just my opinion.