Author Topic: Your opinions sought about an email  (Read 4762 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Your opinions sought about an email
« on: October 15, 2012, 08:31:59 PM »
Hi folks

I recently started an essay editing business (you may have seen my sig line has an ad).

Yesterday I was startled to receive in my in-box an email from "Yahoo! Service Centre". The email address itself had a person's name - a quite rare name judging from Google.

The email read:
my name is [name] I want to sent you my work for editing if thats ok.

My blog includes instructions for how to use my services, and part of that involves me emailing my bank account details to clients.

The email is quite different from the genuine requests I've fielded, and I'm highly suspicious. Should I just delete the email without responding? The thing is, there appears to be a university student in Australia with that name, and using "Yahoo! Service Centre" as their public name on their email may just be an undergraduate's joke.

What do you think?
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
Re: Your opinions sought about an email
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 08:54:04 PM »
They shouldn't expect a single e-mail to be taken seriously. Scammer or not, if they had any sense they wouldn't so obviously look like one.

Offline DataCable

• Earth
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:14:35 AM »
and there grammer iz attroshus
Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:31:38 PM »
That's why they need his services!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates