Author Topic: Why is it so quiet here?  (Read 4600 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: Why is it so quiet here?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 04:31:17 PM »
Then again, it's cats, so trying to predict or control their behavior is probably almost as bad as trying to reason with die-hard conspiracy believers.

Amen to that!

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 08:02:47 AM »
Because most people are using YouTube or Discord or social media to debate, not this forum.

Forums like this are rather out of fashion.

...and that is the big shame of it.

Moderation on Discord, YouTube, Twitter etc is all but non-existent. It means CTs can spout their evidence-free shtick without  limit, and without being held to any kind of standard. This is why I don't have Twitter or Instagram accounts (and I never will) and I only have a Facebook account to keep up with close friends and family. I have a Reddit account purely to follow r/spacex because of the high number of very knowledgeable people who post in the threads and because it is well moderated (space deniers and "rockets don't work in a vacuum" types are given the short shift at warp speed).

Folks here might be aware the Australian Government is considering a proposal to force the tech giants like Google and Facebook to pay for the news items they publish. Facebook's latest counter-threat is to propose to stop Australians from sharing news on Facebook and Instagram.

As this article quotes...
...Facebook doesn't ban fake news, it only tags it, but it is now saying it is prepared to ban actual news in order to tap out of a legislative process that is not going its way...

From https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/facebook/12636982

Probably wouldn't bother me directly if they did as I don't belong to any social media sites (forums are quite enough for me). But the financial effect could be pretty devastating, on top of the walloping traditional media has copped in the last decade or so.

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 03:17:16 PM »
Because forums like this are so early 2000s internet.

Social media and Discord is where it is at right now.
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon