Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Boeing Starliner
« Last post by jfb on Today at 01:28:10 PM »
Today is the day.  Probably.

Starliner is on the Atlas, Atlas is on the pad, valves are purged, potential water ingress points are sealed and/or covered, weather looks pretty good. 

As much fun as it has been to bag on Boeing, this test really needs to succeed and not reveal any more significant problems; now that Soyuz flights are pretty much off the table ... forever, we need that dissimilar redundancy for manned flights.  Awesome as SpaceX has been, they're not infallible. 

Ars has another article making the case that Boeing is the reason the commercial crew program was allowed to exist; had it just been SpaceX and other NuSpace players, Congress wouldn't have approved and funded the program.  It's only because Boeing decided "what the hell, we do space good, we'll play" that the program exists. 

General Discussion / Re: Kids say the darnedest things...
« Last post by gillianren on Today at 11:05:53 AM »
Yesterday, Zane was given a "spy notebook" in a goodie bag for a classmate's birthday.  It's an ordinary notebook, of course, but it comes with a pen that writes in UV-visible ink, which of course comes with a UV light at the end.  So this morning on the way to his bus, we were talking about the spectrum.  I pointed out that, since the Sun also produces UV light, technically it was a colour from out of space.  Therefore, he knows more science now than H. P. Lovecraft.  He stuck his tongue out at me.
The Hoax Theory / Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Last post by Count Zero on May 18, 2022, 07:06:00 AM »
Any confirmation on hunchedback's death?

Aulis has an article:

https://www.aulis.com/pascalrip.htm

In that case, he's probably still alive.  ;)
« Last post by gillianren on May 17, 2022, 12:56:23 PM »
Oh, yeah, I was definitely the kid whose writing got passed around like that.  I don't make a lot of money from my writing--darn bipolar disorder, making it hard for me to send things out!--but I make a little, and I enjoy doing it.

Meanwhile, I was playing Battleship with Zane yesterday.  Sandy was sitting next to me and told me, "I'm counting on you."
« Last post by molesworth on May 17, 2022, 08:44:47 AM »
I understand some of his writing has been passed around the staff room. I don't know whether to be proud or embarrassed...
I'd go with "proud". He has a really great way with words, and a sense of humour to go with it. I foresee a career involving writing ahead of him  :D
« Last post by Peter B on May 17, 2022, 06:17:09 AM »
11YOS was writing about his sister, 9YOD, for a class assignment:
Her room can be very messy. No, scratch that, her room is ALWAYS, very, VERY messy. It (most of the time, anyway) looks as if a squid-out-of-water tried to unwrap 50 presents while juggling 7 balls and playing tennis against an angry whale. And failing miserably.

11YOS writing about koalas for a class assignment:
Koalas have adapted to their environment with sharp claws to grip onto trees. They also have long, muscular arms and legs to help with climbing trees and rough skin on their feet to provide friction and prevent drop bear myths from coming true. Because believe me, you do NOT want a koala to fall on your head.

I understand some of his writing has been passed around the staff room. I don't know whether to be proud or embarrassed...
« Last post by gillianren on May 11, 2022, 11:41:25 AM »
I use it a lot in what I'm given to understand is an actually healthy way--I keep up with people I genuinely care about, basically none of whom are showing off how great their lives are.  Though right now, I am also Not Arguing with an aunt of mine about politics, because I otherwise like her, and she's my only link to my mom's side of the family in a lot of ways, my mom's side of the family having pretty much fallen out of touch with one another after Grandma died.
« Last post by benparry on May 11, 2022, 03:56:52 AM »
Well that is one of the reasons I dropped FB, one of the happiest internet days of my internet life.

It is usefull for lots of things. Unfortunately one of those things is hiding from everyone else lol
« Last post by benparry on May 11, 2022, 03:55:51 AM »
Can you let me have a link to the page you mean Ranb. I have been in a few groups over the years but none where Bart has been a member
I think it is the link that onebigmonkey posted, but I'm blocked so I'm not sure.

All of my group comments from May 7th and most of the individual comments from the 7th are blocked, so I can't tell where they were posted at.

There are quite a few groups / pages on there. A lot of the same people post. Unfortunately i am blocked from a few. Allan F is in a good one where the host actually is a believer but is quite happy to allow people to pollute the internet with their own crap. You will never win a debate on FB
« Last post by Ranb on May 10, 2022, 08:09:47 PM »
Can you let me have a link to the page you mean Ranb. I have been in a few groups over the years but none where Bart has been a member
I think it is the link that onebigmonkey posted, but I'm blocked so I'm not sure.

All of my group comments from May 7th and most of the individual comments from the 7th are blocked, so I can't tell where they were posted at.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10