Author Topic: Flat Earth  (Read 55069 times)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
Re: Flat Earth
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2020, 12:43:36 PM »
Ah, you mean this idiot?

"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2020, 03:33:18 AM »
Yes he's the one. It's disappointing to be honest that they get airtime.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2020, 03:53:49 AM »
Yes he's the one. It's disappointing to be honest that they get airtime.

It's ITV....the idiot-lantern equivalent of the Daily Wail.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2020, 06:58:49 AM »
oh yeah i get that but i just don't understand why somebody with a bit of nous isn't put in front of these people.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2020, 07:37:03 AM »
oh yeah i get that but i just don't understand why somebody with a bit of nous isn't put in front of these people.

Most probably because the target demographic aren't interested. It's a bit like asking why the Daily Mail consistently runs false climate change reports or forecasts "Siberian conditions" every Winter and "Indian Summer" every summer.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2020, 09:34:05 AM »
true true. It just seems like every time they do this it opens up another avenue for people to believe

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2020, 09:55:12 AM »
Ah, you mean this idiot?

There is a documentary on Netflix called "Behind the Curve" that has Mark K. Sargent (that idiot) in it. It doesn't try to convince you that the Earth is flat, it's more about the people who believe it. I don't want to spoil it for you, but there's a funny bit where a group of them spends $20,000 on a device that is supposed to measure the rotation of the Earth... and it does exactly that... but they think it's faulty.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2020, 10:23:57 AM »
Ah, you mean this idiot?

There is a documentary on Netflix called "Behind the Curve" that has Mark K. Sargent (that idiot) in it. It doesn't try to convince you that the Earth is flat, it's more about the people who believe it. I don't want to spoil it for you, but there's a funny bit where a group of them spends $20,000 on a device that is supposed to measure the rotation of the Earth... and it does exactly that... but they think it's faulty.

That has been mentioned on the This Morning comments tbh yeah. I just wish whoever lets these people on would make it a debate to show ordinary people such as myself what is actually true and what isn't

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2020, 07:11:47 AM »
true true. It just seems like every time they do this it opens up another avenue for people to believe

Nah, wilfully ignorant people will always find a way to believe in fairytales. And Flat Earthers really are the most wilfully ignorant of the lot of them. They can get back in the sea along with anti-vaxers and followers of David Icke.

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2020, 11:03:16 AM »
Fair enough can't argue with that :)

Offline bobdude11

• Venus
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2020, 05:11:13 PM »
Saw something posted on FB:

"The only thing Flat Earthers fear is, sphere itself!"

I chuckled a bit. :)
Robert Clark -
CISSP, MISM, MCSE and some other alphabet certifications.
I am moving to Theory ... everything works in Theory
"Everybody remember where we parked." James Tiberius Kirk, Captain, U.S.S. Enterprise

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2020, 04:58:48 AM »
Yeah i've seen that. I said something a while back here, and i admit i was shot down a little, but in my opinion the belief of such things as the Moon landings being faked and the earth being flat is a psychological issue. The believing because you want to believe or believing because of a deep mistrust of something or someone is not logical.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2020, 10:43:57 AM »
Maybe not, but it's very human.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2020, 12:33:12 PM »
Can anybody show me a gas pressure next to a vacuum without a barrier?
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2020, 01:43:49 PM »
Look out the window.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)