Author Topic: ISS - Wires, Hair Spray, Cables, etc.  (Read 13390 times)

Offline BDL

• Venus
ISS - Wires, Hair Spray, Cables, etc.
« on: January 04, 2019, 11:25:07 PM »
Hi again. I’ve been discussing on Twitter with a conspiracy theorist who believes the Earth to be flat. Initially, I was under the notion that he would be like other conspiracy theorists but I was pleasantly surprised to find that he’s actually respectful and it seems to me like he’s genuinely trying to think everything out. He says that he’s joined metabunk.org recently to discuss things with other who know more about subjects than he does. Anyways, he asked me to post the video here, presumably because this is what he believes is convincing.

Here’s the video:

Here’s also a part of our discussion down below
“One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong, 1969

Online Peter B

• Saturn
Re: ISS - Wires, Hair Spray, Cables, etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 12:00:01 AM »
Over at Unexplained Mysteries someone supporting an FE believer asked what would convince us sphericists that the Earth was flat.

My three responses were:

1. Demonstrating that the actual distances (a) Perth-Melbourne and (b) Brisbane-Melbourne in Australia matched the distances measured on an FE map.

2. Explaining how the Endeavour covered more distance the further south it sailed.

3. Explaining why a man in 1828 would publish a book on how to navigate on a spherical Earth (J W Norie's "Complete Epitome of Practical Navigation" - which can be found online if you ever feel the urge to learn navigation the early-19th century way).

In my experience getting FE people to think hard about Australia is a good place to start - the shape of Australia on FE maps is horizontally smeared compared to normal depictions. This has very obvious real-world implications as people drive between cities and can measure the distance they travel.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:03:23 AM by Peter B »

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 12:13:39 PM »
I haven't watched the video, for several reasons, but let's be real--there's no way it has enough information to convince me that the Earth is flat, because there's simply too much evidence that it isn't.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 12:14:38 PM »
Oh, as to hair spray--how much experience does he have with it?  Because the thing about hair spray is that it makes your hair stiff.  Hair that has been sprayed simply does not move as freely as we see long hair moving in videos of space.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline BDL

• Venus
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 07:37:18 PM »
I think some female astronauts do use some hair spray on the ISS, but that does not at all suggest a hoax of any sort. In the video, and some other video you can see some astronauts have some pretty stiff hair.

Anyways, I can explain most of it.
At 0:15, the astronaut had made a backflip and had likely knocked something with his feet. The other astronauts had pointed and one got up to take care of it. One of them had tried to stabilize his colleague by putting his finger in his pocket.

At 0:20, he “falls” because when the is doing the backflip he grabs the handle that his foot was previously hooked to. He then pulls himself “downward” and then upward to get into view again quickly.

At 0:40, the guy on the left had hit something with his legs and was looking to see what had happened. He reaches up very briefly after realizing nothing was damaged had done an odd pose for what I assume is comedic effect. He may have possibly felt some embarrassment for screwing up his backflip a bit.

At 1:00, he the isn’t “lunging”; his foot was momentarily caught in the handle he used to stabilize stabilize himself for the interview.

At 1:16 on the left, she probably isn’t attempting to grab anything. I realize her motions looked a bit odd but there’s not much to explain there. She simply didn’t grab anything. On the right his shirt is simply creased near his pants. There’s nothing else to it.

The rest of the video is just a bunch of claims about the movie Gravity and hair spray. Hair spray, I believe, is used on the ISS by some astronauts but to work easier. After all, wouldn’t be a little annoying to have long hair flowing everywhere for months on end? Especially since your job is extremely important and hair would be pretty distracting. Though please correct me if I’m wrong.

Also suggestions for what the lady was doing with her hands at 1:16 would be appreciated. I’m not completely sure but she probably isn’t doing anything. I mean, putting your hand up for a moment doesn’t really mean much, dontcha think?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:44:46 PM by BDL »
“One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong, 1969

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 11:18:39 AM »
Frankly, hair spray would be a terrible solution to the problem in space.  Because it's a spray.  Gel or mousse would be better, as they're easier to control.  Braiding your hair would be an even better idea, if your hair is long enough to braid.

Offline BDL

• Venus
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 04:15:49 PM »
Frankly, hair spray would be a terrible solution to the problem in space.  Because it's a spray.  Gel or mousse would be better, as they're easier to control.  Braiding your hair would be an even better idea, if your hair is long enough to braid.
Oh yeah, I guess you’re right. I forgot that gel and all those other stuff even existed lol.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 11:05:41 AM »
I don't use them, but you can't have hair as long as mine (to my waist) without some familiarity with such things.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 11:45:36 AM »
So wait - he's arguing that pictures of women with their hair standing off their heads is done by hairspray? How does he explain videos of it moving?

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 02:04:34 PM »
Are aerosols even PERMITTED on the ISS?
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 04:15:01 PM »
Are aerosols even PERMITTED on the ISS?

[tinfoil hat mode]Of course they are. BECAUSE IT'S ALL FAKE!!1![/tinfoil hat mode]

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 06:38:45 AM »
Is it okay to be posting this conversation on a public forum? Do you have permission from the other participant?

These are things we need to think about in these GDPr days.