Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Apollo EVA suit development cost.
« Last post by Dalhousie on June 29, 2022, 02:52:49 AM »
What was the development cost of the Apollo suits?  $100K is often quoted, but I understand that is just the manufacturing cost for suit
http://www.astronautix.com/a/a7l.html This should give some idea. Mind you, this was in 1960's dollars.

That comes to about $17 million in today's dollars for 25 block I suits (and an unspecified number of block IIs).  However at least 105 A7L suits were made so this would amount to about $70 million in today's terms.  Still cheaper than current suits.
General Discussion / Re: The Biden Presidency
« Last post by jfb on June 28, 2022, 06:49:38 PM »
I don't think it's as bad as that. Demographics is the enemy of the Republican Party. And Stacey Abrams has provided the model for how grassroots politics can be successful.

Demographics won’t matter if they can disenfranchise everyone likely to vote against them. 

Yes, grassroots organizing can be successful, and we need to do more of it in every state of the Union.  Would that the Democratic leadership agreed. 
« Last post by gillianren on June 28, 2022, 11:00:27 AM »
I was so interested when I read about how the list of precedents Thomas thought should be overturned is missing one - the one which he personally benefits from. Has he explained why he thinks Loving doesn't go with the others?

Because reasons.  Legitimate reasons!

The Republicans have divisions too. They're just perhaps not particularly visible at the moment.

Oh, they're becoming increasingly visible, if you're paying attention.  Look at Liz Cheney.
« Last post by Peter B on June 28, 2022, 06:22:13 AM »
This is what 46 years of single-issue voting get you.  Nationwide ban as soon as DeSantis wins in 2024 and the GOP takes both houses back.  Then expect the Court to overturn Obergefell and Griswold too.  They probably won't touch Loving as long as Thomas is on the Court, but as soon as he's kicked they'll nuke it too

I was so interested when I read about how the list of precedents Thomas thought should be overturned is missing one - the one which he personally benefits from. Has he explained why he thinks Loving doesn't go with the others?

Hell, don't be surprised if they overturn Brown.

::) They'd never!

They've won.  The theocratic, xenophobic, racist wing of the GOP has won, and they're going to press that victory for all it's worth.  The current Democratic leadership is politically incompetent to a criminal degree (and has been since Clinton left office).  Problem is, so is "the Squad" (blech) and the rest of the so-called "progressive" wing.  The whole goddamned party is imploding because of unchecked narcissism and privilege and it's own special brand of authoritarian thinking ("everyone should follow me").

The Republicans have divisions too. They're just perhaps not particularly visible at the moment.

And this result is only going to accelerate that implosion - cue the finger-pointing and back-stabbing.  Prepare for a few decades in the wilderness, guys.

I don't think it's as bad as that. Demographics is the enemy of the Republican Party. And Stacey Abrams has provided the model for how grassroots politics can be successful.
« Last post by jfb on June 27, 2022, 12:31:18 PM »
This is what 46 years of single-issue voting get you.  Nationwide ban as soon as DeSantis wins in 2024 and the GOP takes both houses back.  Then expect the Court to overturn Obergefell and Griswold too.  They probably won't touch Loving as long as Thomas is on the Court, but as soon as he's kicked they'll nuke it too. 

Hell, don't be surprised if they overturn Brown.

They've won.  The theocratic, xenophobic, racist wing of the GOP has won, and they're going to press that victory for all it's worth.  The current Democratic leadership is politically incompetent to a criminal degree (and has been since Clinton left office).  Problem is, so is "the Squad" (blech) and the rest of the so-called "progressive" wing.  The whole goddamned party is imploding because of unchecked narcissism and privilege and it's own special brand of authoritarian thinking ("everyone should follow me"). 

And this result is only going to accelerate that implosion - cue the finger-pointing and back-stabbing.  Prepare for a few decades in the wilderness, guys.
« Last post by grmcdorman on June 27, 2022, 07:36:30 AM »
A bunch of his female friends had to explain to a male friend of mine why so many of us are posting offers to let people from out of state GO CAMPING.  Because he's a single male, and he hadn't known that some states are criminalizing leaving the state to get abortions elsewhere.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how such a law would be enforced.
What I've read is that they might do a law like the recent Texas one: private individuals could sue anyone helping a woman get an out-of-state abortion. That said, it was also speculated that this violates the Constitutional right to free travel.

Not that this matters to the more militant anti-abortionists; another article pointed out that the rational for this, Constitutional originalism, also means that we should deny women the right to vote, among others, as that was also not an original Constitutional right.

As a liberal Canadian, I am looking at this whole trend in the US with horror.
« Last post by Peter B on June 27, 2022, 06:20:22 AM »
A bunch of his female friends had to explain to a male friend of mine why so many of us are posting offers to let people from out of state GO CAMPING.  Because he's a single male, and he hadn't known that some states are criminalizing leaving the state to get abortions elsewhere.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how such a law would be enforced.
« Last post by gillianren on June 25, 2022, 11:23:45 AM »
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Apollo EVA suit development cost.
« Last post by raven on June 24, 2022, 07:19:07 PM »
What was the development cost of the Apollo suits?  $100K is often quoted, but I understand that is just the manufacturing cost for suit
http://www.astronautix.com/a/a7l.html This should give some idea. Mind you, this was in 1960's dollars.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10