Author Topic: How the Saturn V worked  (Read 5112 times)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
How the Saturn V worked
« on: December 29, 2022, 03:51:46 AM »
Luke Talley is a fascinating man to listen to.

In this video, Destin Sandlin (Smarter Every Day) talks to Luke in detail about how the whole Saturn V stack works and how the Instrument Unit controls the whole operation of the rocket. The technical detail in this discussion is amazing.

The video is almost an hour long, and is well worth it the time spent to watch for anyone with an aeronautical, aerospace or engineering bent

... and Luke Talley is a bona-fide, certifiable treasure!

NOTE: on Destin's second channel, there is a "Long Cut" version of of this interview, you need 1H 47M to watch that and you can do that here...

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: How the Saturn V worked
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 04:45:00 PM »
Did someone here already mention this video? I seem to remember seeing it (or something similar) last year...

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 09:34:11 PM »
Did someone here already mention this video? I seem to remember seeing it (or something similar) last year...

No, that was me and its not the same video. The one I posted last year was just about the IU itself and the memory cores. This video dives into how the staging worked, why the stages were built the way they were.

For example, I didn't know that the first stage had 8 solid rocket motors to literally pull the stage away from the S1-S2 inter-stage, then there were more of the SRMs on the interstage to give Stage 2 a push in order to get the fuel to move to the bottom of the tank so that they could light the five J2 engines.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 10:27:48 PM »
All the solid rocket motors on the Saturn V were made by my clients Thiokol Morton-Thiokol ATK Orbital-ATK Northrop Grumman.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 04:08:54 AM »

No, that was me and its not the same video. The one I posted last year was just about the IU itself and the memory cores. This video dives into how the staging worked, why the stages were built the way they were.

Brilliant! I'm going to watch it shortly.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 08:55:02 AM »
I just watched the longer version, and thoroughly recommend it.