Author Topic: A few simple questions for conspiracy theorists  (Read 270541 times)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: A few simple questions for conspiracy theorists
« Reply #255 on: April 23, 2013, 02:31:08 AM »
Oh yeah. 1973 was Skylab.

Offline Daniel Dravot

• Mercury
« Reply #256 on: April 23, 2013, 09:27:49 AM »
Sometimes we get the same one, two at a time, under different names.  More commonly the same one serially under different names.  In between HBs, we talk about Apollo amongst ourselves.

The Hoax Proponent does, by and large, seem to be a solitary creature.  Maybe that's because there aren't very many of them, maybe it's because they don't trust each other.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #257 on: April 23, 2013, 11:20:30 AM »
Sometimes we get the same one, two at a time, under different names.  More commonly the same one serially under different names.  In between HBs, we talk about Apollo amongst ourselves.

The Hoax Proponent does, by and large, seem to be a solitary creature.  Maybe that's because there aren't very many of them, maybe it's because they don't trust each other.

Proponents, ones that actually go out of there way to make a special issue of a moon hoax, like Jarrah White, are relatively few in number and have some number of followers and fellow travelers.  They also have somewhat abrasive public personalities toward non-sycophants that limit their social appeal, thus the solitary nature you describe.   

The count for general purpose conspiracy buffs and deniers who actually put some effort into it seems a bit higher.  For the widest category in my lexicon, hoax believers, YouTube seems to be littered with people that prefer to entertain themselves with a good hoax or conspiracy without ever giving it a second thought. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #258 on: April 23, 2013, 02:16:46 PM »
Skepticism on a budget.  They know one thing that the sheep around them don't know -- and it only cost them the time to watch a YouTube video.  Their investment is as deep.

Offline Daniel Dravot

• Mercury
« Reply #259 on: April 23, 2013, 03:01:44 PM »
Proponents, ones that actually go out of there way to make a special issue of a moon hoax, like Jarrah White, are relatively few in number and have some number of followers and fellow travelers.  They also have somewhat abrasive public personalities toward non-sycophants that limit their social appeal, thus the solitary nature you describe.   

The count for general purpose conspiracy buffs and deniers who actually put some effort into it seems a bit higher.  For the widest category in my lexicon, hoax believers, YouTube seems to be littered with people that prefer to entertain themselves with a good hoax or conspiracy without ever giving it a second thought.

Perhaps I misuse my terminology, being relatively new to this particular freak show, I should have referred to believers rather than proponents.

I do sometimes run across people who refer to the whole moon hoax business.  On every single occasion I can think of, the speaker has expressed not only disbelief in the hoax theories, but also amazement that anyone could actually believe this rubbish.  And yet these odd characters seem to be quite common on the internet.  So I wonder.

(i) Maybe believers in the hoax theories are quite rare, and the global reach of the internet is required to find very many of them.

(ii) Maybe they're quite common, but they are all kept in some ghetto somewhere so as not to bother everyone else, and the internet is the only way they can communicate with us.

(iii) Maybe they're quite common, but not willing to embarrass themselves in person, preferring the anonymity of the internet.

(iv) Maybe they're all just having a laugh at everyone else's expense.

Most likely there are some other plausible explanations.

Whether their density is feigned or real, I do get the impression here than many are inadvertently setting themselves up as targets.  I can fully understand the frustration caused when the dumbest person in the room starts mouthing off about what an idiot everyone else is, but I think it would be wise for us to strive not to become subjects to the breath of every fool.1

1Bonus points to anyone who can identify the reference, said points being worth exactly what the lucky winner paid for them.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #260 on: April 23, 2013, 04:12:08 PM »
Henry V?
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #261 on: April 23, 2013, 04:17:38 PM »

Could also be because the very nature of their belief systems affects their character to a degree that inevitably leads to them being social pariahs.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #262 on: April 23, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »
I suspect that it just isn't all that important for most people one way or the other.  There are people who believe in the alleged hoax, but they don't bring it up, because it isn't important.  Similarly, few of my friends who do accept reality feel the need to mention Apollo very often.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Daniel Dravot

• Mercury
« Reply #263 on: April 23, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »
Henry V?

Well done.  Don't spend your bonus points all in one place :)

Offline Laurel

• Earth
« Reply #264 on: April 23, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »
Do we get bonus points for knowing where your user name comes from?
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline Daniel Dravot

• Mercury
« Reply #265 on: April 23, 2013, 05:59:27 PM »

Sure, why not?

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #266 on: April 23, 2013, 06:11:57 PM »
Perhaps I misuse my terminology, being relatively new to this particular freak show, I should have referred to believers rather than proponents.

One use is as good as another.  I have just developed my own usage because I am special that way. ;)
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Laurel

• Earth
« Reply #267 on: April 23, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »

Sure, why not?

"The Man Who Would Be King." Kipling.
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline Daniel Dravot

• Mercury
« Reply #268 on: April 23, 2013, 11:14:58 PM »

God's Holy Trousers, you are right!

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #269 on: April 24, 2013, 04:07:01 PM »

God's Holy Trousers, you are right!

Well, to be fair, first result in google kind of gives it away.