Author Topic: Mascons affect on LM during the landing?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
Mascons affect on LM during the landing?
« on: May 04, 2016, 02:34:30 PM »
Been looking into this a bit as I was curious if mascons contributed in any way to having any type of effect on the LM that the commander had to be aware during the final phase of landing? From what I've been able to find, it looks like it was low orbit were the mascons had the most affect but wouldn't the LM descent from low orbit make it even more susceptible to mascons abnormal gravity? Or was the portion of the landing planned to avoid mascons as much as possible thus minimizing any potential issues? I was hoping to find a NASA pdf regarding research and how they allowed for the mascons but no luck.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Mascons affect on LM during the landing?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 02:42:48 PM »
I sense another YouTube video by hunchbacked ::)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 02:56:08 PM »

No, some other nutcase who's convinced the landings were faked because according to him, the only way way to land on the moon is by a autonomous computer. He refuses to explain whats so difficult about the moon landing that makes a human controlled landing impossible but does cite the mascons as something to do with it. Pretty silly I know but it did get me interested enough to look into it more. One thing I must say about these nuts is that while looking for rebuttal information, I have learned a lot about the Apollo program and how it was so much more involved then I ever realized.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 03:06:55 PM »

No, some other nutcase who's convinced the landings were faked because according to him, the only way way to land on the moon is by a autonomous computer. He refuses to explain whats so difficult about the moon landing that makes a human controlled landing impossible but does cite the mascons as something to do with it. Pretty silly I know but it did get me interested enough to look into it more. One thing I must say about these nuts is that while looking for rebuttal information, I have learned a lot about the Apollo program and how it was so much more involved then I ever realized.
Well it seems like a MO of hunchbacked for the perceived difficulties combined with an "inadequate" computer
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 03:19:34 PM »

Well it seems like a MO of hunchbacked for the perceived difficulties combined with an "inadequate" computer

Yes it certainly fits with his style. Must admit I haven't bothered to even look at his site for awhile now. What's really becoming annoying is how many more of the flat-Earth nuts seem to be popping up.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 03:31:53 PM »

Yes it certainly fits with his style. Must admit I haven't bothered to even look at his site for awhile now. What's really becoming annoying is how many more of the flat-Earth nuts seem to be popping up.
Oh yes, dumber than the Apollo hoax nuts.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 04:38:08 PM »
The effect of the mascons were counteracted by having a radar to measure the altitude and closure rate. The distance of the powered descent was only a fraction of a complete orbit.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 11:07:51 PM »
Been looking into this a bit as I was curious if mascons contributed in any way to having any type of effect on the LM that the commander had to be aware during the final phase of landing? From what I've been able to find, it looks like it was low orbit were the mascons had the most affect but wouldn't the LM descent from low orbit make it even more susceptible to mascons abnormal gravity? Or was the portion of the landing planned to avoid mascons as much as possible thus minimizing any potential issues? I was hoping to find a NASA pdf regarding research and how they allowed for the mascons but no luck.

Gravity at the moon's surface is about 1.6 m*s-2. As (beautifully) graphically summarized at http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/grail/multimedia/pia16587.html, the variation of the moon's gravity is about +/- 500 mGal (so a range of 1 Gal, or 0.01 m*s-2). That's up to about a 0.3% variation from the average - enough to perturb a circular orbit over the course of weeks, but not enough to cause any insurmountable problems during lunar descent.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 02:38:50 PM »
The effect of the mascons were counteracted by having a radar to measure the altitude and closure rate. The distance of the powered descent was only a fraction of a complete orbit.

Thanks for the info. I actually just got David Woods "How Apollo Flew to the Moon" today and he has an excellent write-up about it that was very enlightening especially in regards to Apollo 15's orbit over some unknown mascons that were eventually determined to be 2 of the strongest ones found. Since they were aware of possible problems like this coming up, it was simple matter of having higher orbits then required in anticipation of possible perturbations. With Apollo 15, they realized the orbit was being affected more then they allowed but a small trim maneuver was all that was required to correct the situation. 

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 02:40:01 PM »

Gravity at the moon's surface is about 1.6 m*s-2. As (beautifully) graphically summarized at http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/grail/multimedia/pia16587.html, the variation of the moon's gravity is about +/- 500 mGal (so a range of 1 Gal, or 0.01 m*s-2). That's up to about a 0.3% variation from the average - enough to perturb a circular orbit over the course of weeks, but not enough to cause any insurmountable problems during lunar descent.

Thanks for the link and info. Very helpful.