Author Topic: why was the usa the only one to go to the moon?  (Read 411289 times)

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
Re: why was the usa the only one to go to the moon?
« Reply #675 on: February 01, 2013, 05:37:13 AM »
That would be 110 then  :)

If you still have the camera, the Lomography people have restarted production of 110 film cartidges...
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline ineluki

• Earth
Re: Moonrocks in the head.
« Reply #676 on: February 01, 2013, 06:45:21 AM »
My nonsense (IMU alignment) is original.

Thanks for finally admitting you are writing nonsense...

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #677 on: February 01, 2013, 07:11:05 AM »
Learn something every day! I handled a lot of medium format film way back in my junior high school photography days, and I'd always just assumed it was the same width as 70mm movie film, just no sprocket holes. I never measured it or did the math.

Well there is another thing that many people don't realise, but there is a type of 35mm film that is sprocketless as well. We used to use it in the Minipan Camera installed on our A4K Skyhawks. They came equipped with (very pricey) Perkin-Elmer 20mm aperture f1.2 lenses and a very clever "rotating shutter" that exposed about 4½" if film per frame and gave the camera a 170° field of view.

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #678 on: February 01, 2013, 07:19:08 AM »
No, it was a small cartridge, the smallest available.

There were two film cartridges smaller than the 110.

Top = 110
Middle = Minolta 16
Bottom = Minnox
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #679 on: February 01, 2013, 09:50:10 AM »
Did Apollo 11 go to the moon and land while still faking the video?

Was this post meant to have a point?
Asking what you think.

Everyone on here thinks that is ridiculous. Faking the video would be much harder than going to the Moon and landing.

So, now you know what we think, you will go ahead and tell us we were wrong, which again leads to the question, what was the point?

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #680 on: February 01, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »
Did Apollo 11 go to the moon and land while still faking the video?

Was this post meant to have a point?
Asking what you think.

What do you think, Alex.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #681 on: February 01, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »
OK guys and gals, fun's fun but can we lay off just a bit.
Yes, 'Alex' has shown gross ignorance even I can see, but its getting a bit much. We don't have to treat him nice, but we should be at least somewhat civil.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #682 on: February 01, 2013, 01:10:48 PM »
OK guys and gals, fun's fun but can we lay off just a bit.
Yes, 'Alex' has shown gross ignorance even I can see, but its getting a bit much. We don't have to treat him nice, but we should be at least somewhat civil.

I started there, but he appears to be ignoring me anyway.  I also did warn him.

I do, however, think that a certain amount of rudeness does leak into a lot of the rebuttals, and I think it's a bad idea.  It's tempting to start out with mockery--after all, the ideas are always so eminently mockable!--but I don't think it's actually helpful.  I really do believe that mocking HBs just makes them dig their heels in further, to "show us."  Or else they go with "you're making fun of me because it's all you've got!  You don't have facts."  Which is, of course, wrong, but I can see why they'd go there, too.  Don't give them the chance.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Captain Swoop

• Venus
« Reply #683 on: February 01, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »
My first camera when I was very young was a 126 Cartridge camera. Grey and black plastic. thumb wheel winder and a 'bright' or 'cloudy' setting

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #684 on: February 01, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »
120 roll film is sprocketless.  It's wound simply by the take-up reel in the normal magazines.  The film rolls produced for Apollo -- E-3 process emulsion on a 70mm 6x6-frame Estar thin base -- were sprocketed down one side.

When I interned for a year at Herman Miller I actually met Dean Peterson, who designed the Kodak Instamatic and the idea of cartridge film.  He was basically a minor deity in the industrial design world and was visiting HM's offices.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #685 on: February 01, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »
My first camera when I was very young was a 126 Cartridge camera. Grey and black plastic. thumb wheel winder and a 'bright' or 'cloudy' setting
That pretty much matches my first camera.  It had a very wide angle lens. I took many photos of birds that came out as nothing but a dark spots, until I got some instruction on how to take photos rather than just use the camera. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Hal

• Mercury
« Reply #686 on: February 01, 2013, 02:04:45 PM »
We had various Instamatics and Polaroids around the house when I was a kid, but I was the only one in the family who had any particular interest in the craft of photography.  The first film I processed was from a camera exactly like this:

I'd scavenged the camera and a complete darkroom setup from a neighbor's trash, and with nothing but the processing notes included in the film box, I set out to teach myself how to process my own film and prints.

Maybe not the best choice for me, as medium format film (with the paper backing) is much, much harder to load on the reel for a first-timer with no instruction whatsoever.  I was probably 10-11 yrs old, and I still remember standing in the dark bathroom in tears.  But, I finally managed it.  (Later, I seriously injured myself cracking open one of those stupid 126 cartridges.)

I have no idea whatever became of those first murky images of Muir Woods, or the equipment that produced them.  But then, my interest in photography hasn't survived the years, either.

Offline cos

• Venus
« Reply #687 on: February 01, 2013, 02:40:12 PM »
I see Patrick/fattydash/goodnightsnookums/alexsanchez has been banned (again) from cosmoquest for being a sock puppet.  He did leave with the hilarious accusation that apollo 14 was a fake because the astronauts couldn't have found their way back to the lm without knowing their position by the stars. I suppose following their footprints on a rock that had never been inhabited for 4 billion years could have led them anywhere!  Much better to bring a theodolite and a plumb line.  I think it is marvellous that he is bringing his 'expertise' to the problem of orbital rendezvous. 

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #688 on: February 01, 2013, 03:02:05 PM »
That was one of the more ludicrous pro-hoax arguments. Particularly when we can still see their trails today.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #689 on: February 01, 2013, 03:04:03 PM »
Maybe not the best choice for me, as medium format film (with the paper backing) is much, much harder to load on the reel for a first-timer with no instruction whatsoever.

You ain't kidding. I still have difficulty with this, especially when loading 220, which is slightly thinner.

Later, I seriously injured myself cracking open one of those stupid 126 cartridges./quote]

There's a technique for doing that safely.

You grip the ends of the cartridge with both hands, with your stronger hand holding the take-up reel end so that you can feel the film drive lugs on the ends of the reel with your thumb and the inside of your first finger just below the knuckle joint, then twist the take-up end away from you. The cover of the take-up end will simply "peel" open without leaving any sharp edges, and you'll end up holding just the take-up reel.