Author Topic: Urgent Advice Needed  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
Urgent Advice Needed
« on: March 25, 2020, 05:03:44 AM »
My wife always buys me a silly present for my birthday, now I have worn the Blue and Yellow ones, am I right in not wearing the red ones?  ;D

"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: Urgent Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 06:10:37 AM »
Should be fine to wear them.

Remember, the characters were known as redshirts, not redsocks...  ;)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 06:34:36 AM »
Should be fine to wear them.

Remember, the characters were known as redshirts, not redsocks...  ;)

😂😂
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 10:21:46 AM »
Scotty and Uhura were redshirts.  Just sayin'. 

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 02:35:00 AM »
I think those are TNG socks, so you should be fine. It's the gold you got to worry about, especially if you run into some black mud.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 09:32:46 AM »
I think those are TNG socks, so you should be fine. It's the gold you got to worry about, especially if you run into some black mud.

Because I'm that guy --

TNG didn't use different department designs on the insignia - that's strictly TOS.  Gold/star for command, blue/ellipse-in-a-circle for sciences, blue/red-cross for medical, and red/spiral for everything else:

Not only did TOS use different department designs on the insignia, they used different-shaped insignia for different ships (at least among the Connies):

Only the insignia for the Enterprise, Defiant, Exeter, and Constellation are canon (that is, they appeared on-screen). 

Yes, I...I'm an old-skool Trekkie.  I can't help it. 

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 03:28:46 PM »
Yes, but TOS also didn't he the black filled angle on the shirts either.
https://anytimecostumes-weblinc.netdna-ssl.com/product_images/star-trek-womens-deluxe-command-unif-costume/5afc7dcc69702d300300fd84/super_zoom.jpg?c=1528762010
So this mixes generations. Bit of a toss up I guess whether you're safe or not.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 06:00:34 AM »
Speaking of TOS, has anyone seen Star Trek Continues? I've had it for years but I couldn't get over the new cast playing the old characters. But once I did, it knocked my socks off. The sets, props, lighting, music, everything was just dead-on perfect. I was like watching lost episodes from the original series.

https://www.startrekcontinues.com/

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 06:35:37 PM »
Speaking of TOS, has anyone seen Star Trek Continues? I've had it for years but I couldn't get over the new cast playing the old characters. But once I did, it knocked my socks off. The sets, props, lighting, music, everything was just dead-on perfect. I was like watching lost episodes from the original series.

Agreed. I am sure there is a rivet counter who can point out the flaws but I found it a great series. Even the NBC 'color' logo (although we didn't get that in Australia, IIRC).

There are a lot of fan-features out there, some so-so, others excellent. My fav has to be 'Prelude to Axanar':

It is such a shame that Paramount shut them down initially, and we have to put up with this 'compromise'. After seeing Prelude, I was excited as I was when I saw the first episode of FTETTM.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »
Prelude to Axanar was Richard Hatch's labor of love.  Thanks to being a sponsor of our local "comic convention" (/me grumbles about lawyers) at the time, I was able to have a fair amount of private time with Richard to talk about it.  Well, that and Battlestar Galactica and a whole bunch of other things he's been involved with.  The only reason Axanar got past the Paramount meat grinder in any form was because of Richard's clout and his sheer love of science fiction.  He wore them down.  One of my casual cosplays is Capt. Dallas from Alien.  My "flight" jacket has patches that actually refer to a number of different fandoms, including Axanar,but it makes a great mosaic that achieves the desired effect.

Thanks for the recommendation on Continues.  As you say, there's a lot of fan productions out there so it's good to see them through the filter.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 02:21:44 PM »
Prelude to Axanar was Richard Hatch's labor of love.  Thanks to being a sponsor of our local "comic convention" (/me grumbles about lawyers) at the time, I was able to have a fair amount of private time with Richard to talk about it.  Well, that and Battlestar Galactica and a whole bunch of other things he's been involved with.  The only reason Axanar got past the Paramount meat grinder in any form was because of Richard's clout and his sheer love of science fiction.  He wore them down.  One of my casual cosplays is Capt. Dallas from Alien.  My "flight" jacket has patches that actually refer to a number of different fandoms, including Axanar,but it makes a great mosaic that achieves the desired effect.

Thanks for the recommendation on Continues.  As you say, there's a lot of fan productions out there so it's good to see them through the filter.
Ah, post an image of the jacket or you wearing the jacket, please.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 08:43:44 PM »

Just started watching it on your recommendation.

I have to say I'm impressed. They have really captured the appearance and impression of the original series. Yeah, the uniforms and the graphics are relatively easy to copy, but the colours and textures of the sets and especially the lighting and music give it a very authentic "feel". Picking up a couple of well known actors such as Erin Grey and Lou Ferrigno, as well as using Star Trek TNG actors such as John De Lancie, Marina Syrtis and Michael Dorn (the last two in voice roles) has added to it. Having Michael Forrest reprise his role as the God Apollo from TOS "Who Mourns for Adonais?" in the first episode was a master stroke IMO.

Everything is downloadable free as bittorrents from that website. It comes as ISO files, but I didn't bother burning disks, I just mounted the ISO files as drive letters and extracted/converted the VOB files as MKVs to play on the TV. I initially started watching the hilarious "gag reels" (outtakes), and I think that helped me to get past the different actors issue.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 08:46:52 PM »

Axanar would have made a far better series to slot between TOS and TNG than that Discovery abortion some of us have come to hate!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 10:18:29 AM »

Axanar would have made a far better series to slot between TOS and TNG than that Discovery abortion some of us have come to hate!

I actually dig DISCO (except for the uniforms - the costume designer needs to be taken out and shot, the uniform collars make me scream silently the entire time they're on the screen), I just wish they didn't touch any on-screen elements of TOS.  A human raised on Vulcan is an interesting character brief, but making her Spock's stepsister stomps all over that, because now it's all about how she fits in established canon, not the character herself. 

I mean, yeah, Sarek's family is the "logical" choice because of Amanda, but still...