Author Topic: LRO photos show ascent stage still on the ground?  (Read 119427 times)

Offline inconceivable

• Venus
Re: LRO photos show ascent stage still on the ground?
« Reply #300 on: March 04, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
I was always informed the engineers referred to it as the LEM and enthusiasts shortened it to LM.   Will the MEM (Mars Excursion Module) be referred to as the mm in the future?  contact..... engine stop...copy down... Mojave....Cydonia Base.... the mm has landed.

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #301 on: March 04, 2013, 01:08:59 PM »
I was always informed the engineers referred to it as the LEM and enthusiasts shortened it to LM.

All I can say is that you were mis-informed. NASA felt that "excursion" sounded too "frivolous", therefore, the term was shortened to LM.

End of story...

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #302 on: March 04, 2013, 01:25:19 PM »
As far as I know, it was still pronounced "lem" though. It's possible that this is the root of inconceivable's garbled version.

BTW, what's the sock status of inconceivable? It's getting hard to keep track...

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #303 on: March 04, 2013, 01:39:24 PM »
As far as I know, it was still pronounced "lem" though.

Yes...of course.

It's possible that this is the root of inconceivable's garbled version.

Certainly a possibility, however now that he has been informed as to the "why" of the matter, there is no reason for him to repeat that mistake.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #304 on: March 04, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »
I was always informed the engineers referred to it as the LEM and enthusiasts shortened it to LM.

Who informed you of this?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #305 on: March 04, 2013, 03:00:25 PM »

You were misinformed.

However hoax-believers seem unable to refer to it by anything other than "LEM". You probably need to change your sources of information.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #306 on: March 04, 2013, 03:45:14 PM »

You were misinformed.

However hoax-believers seem unable to refer to it by anything other than "LEM". You probably need to change your sources of information.

It is so common we added it to Apollo Hoax Bingo card.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #307 on: March 05, 2013, 04:03:35 AM »
It is so common we added it to Apollo Hoax Bingo card.

LOL...I'd forgotten all about the bingo card!
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #308 on: March 09, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »
You were misinformed.

Agreed that the official designation changed, this was not an informal change by "enthusiasts." To be fair though, the term "LEM" has persisted long after the official name change. I just noticed this week while reading "Lost Moon" by Lovell and Kluger to my son that the authors appear to use the terms interchangeably even when referring to the Aquarius and events in 1970.

Compared with pejorative misspellings of "astronaut," the LEM/LM mistake seems pretty excusable to me.