Author Topic: FAR SIDE OF THE MOON  (Read 138824 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Re: FAR SIDE OF THE MOON
« Reply #435 on: October 30, 2015, 04:11:43 AM »
To be great and do great things you not only have to dedicate yourself to education, hard work and critical review by your peers you also have to be intelligent and in Einstein's case, a genius. It's far easier to make up some nonsense and convince a few similarly-minded sycophants

Indeed, making videos with the other cute kitty and Charlie biting his brother's finger videos is the quickest path to erudition. It's a cheap and easy way to appear intellectual.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #436 on: October 30, 2015, 05:12:22 AM »
It's a cheap and easy way to appear intellectual.

There's a big part of that in their makeup, I believe. Most of the more "dedicated" hoaxies that I have seen appear to be poorly educated or just not very bright, *and they know this*. I think that the hoax belief is a way to compensate for their shortcomings. They envy the achievements of others and holding some "secret" knowledge is a way for them to feel superior.  "Even with all your fancy-pants education I know more than you. Not only do I know more, but I am clever enough to see through the lies".

You would think that they would work out that there's not that many smart people that actively support hoax/weird beliefs. Sure, there are some (Edgar Mitchell?) but not many. And then there are some that were smart and appear to have suffered some sort of personal or medical crisis (Neil Baker, John Lear, Dr Tekeli, Anders Bjorkmann)
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #437 on: October 30, 2015, 02:21:32 PM »
Sorry, I missed this question until now:

And the second question is the same date as Apollo 16 returned just two days later (April 27), but that is impossible, the return can not take less than three days.

You're looking at the calendar date, based on Greenwich Mean Time (GMT or UTC).
Houston time (or Buenos Aires time) Apollo 16 departed lunar orbit on April 24 at 20:18 Central Standard Time for Houston (23:18 Buenos Aires time) and splashed down on April 27 at 13:45 CST (16:45 BA).  April 24 to April 27 is three calender days.

The actual flight time from TEI to splashdown for Apollo 16 was 65 hours 27 minutes (all but one of the lunar returns took less than 72 hours, with variations based on the actual distance from the Moon to Earth and the desired splashdown location and time-of-day at that location).  During that time, the astronauts had 3 sleep periods of 7.5 to 8.75 hours; so as far as the astronauts, the mission controllers and everyone else in most of the Western Hemisphere were concerned, it was three days.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #438 on: October 30, 2015, 05:20:09 PM »
Is it safe to presume, after three days absence, that we have a flounce on our hands?
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #439 on: October 30, 2015, 05:44:49 PM »
Is it safe to presume, after three days absence, that we have a flounce on our hands?
Hope springs eternal.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #440 on: October 30, 2015, 06:52:33 PM »

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov