Author Topic: Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)  (Read 68766 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2015, 09:11:10 PM »
I happened to catch this program tonight: Neil Armstrong, The Enigma Explained.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/303738435760/Neil-Armstrong-The-Enigma-Explained

It told his life story, with the obvious focus on Apollo 11, using interviews with friends, colleagues and family, including his sister, brother, both his wives, and his sons, as well as recordings from an interview in (IIRC) 2001.

I enjoyed it, for all that it had a slightly sombre tone (it was made in 2012), but also featured some thoroughly enjoyable bits:

- Some audio from Gemini 8 as they docked with the Agena, with both Armstrong and Scott sounding pretty pleased with themselves.

- Armstrong talking to a 2004 Star Trek convention, saying something along the lines of, "The method we used to get to the Moon...[pause]...worked [audience laughter], but it would have been a lot easier if we could've beamed down." On the way to the podium he stopped briefly to talk to a wheelchair-bound James "Scotty" Doohan.

- Armstrong singing and playing the piano at his 80th birthday party.

All in all a wonderful and respectful tribute.
Your link will only work in Oz, but I believe this is the same documentary, albeit with a different title for the UK.
Thank you for the link, I hadn't viewed it.  It brought tears to my eyes towards the last few minutes, remembering the mission and its meaning. 
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gwiz

• Mars
Re: Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2016, 10:08:21 AM »
Have just had a series of e-mails from the Economist saying that some of my posts in the discussion of the Armstrong obit have been deleted, not for any fault of mine but because the post I was replying to violated their terms. 

Looks like they've finally caught up with Dr Socks.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man