Author Topic: How many cubic feet were in the Apollo Command module  (Read 47306 times)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: How many cubic feet were in the Apollo Command module
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 05:47:51 PM »
Does anyone know what is at the pointy end of the Saturn Five on display in Houston?
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »
The Launch Escape System?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 06:39:19 PM »
Apollo 9 - San Diego Aerospace Museum, San Diego, California ("Gumdrop")

I was privileged to be allowed inside this one while on display in Michigan, before it was moved to San Diego.  I found it to be pretty roomy, but I'm small and there weren't two other guys there.  I've also been inside boilerplate CM011A that's now aboard USS Hornet in Alameda, where they keep the nuclear wessels.  That has no couches though, and only mockup panels.  But its habitable volume feels about the same as the flight article.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 06:40:38 PM »

Yes, incorporating the forward portion of the boost protective cover.  The BPC would ordinarily obscure the CM, but the LES is essential for displaying the Saturn V in its launch configuration.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 10:29:25 PM »
SpaceyChick has photos of all the manned capsule plus some.
Anybody know if any changes were made to the CM's external surface during production? Some of the CMs on display show the brown phenolic heatshield, while others show white paint.

For the most part, those with white paint came back from earth orbit and the others came back from the moon, but there are exceptions; Apollo 8 has a fair amount of white paint, while Apollo-Soyuz is mostly brown. (This collection omits Apollo 6 and the three Skylab ferry CMs)

Every CM had an original outer surface of aluminized Mylar for thermal protection. Most of it burned away during re-entry, but a few CMs (notably Apollo 7 and ASTP) still have some. I've read that people often took pieces after landing as souvenirs. I'm wondering if there was white paint under the Mylar that (except for Apollo 8 ) also burned away on the faster lunar re-entries but not from earth orbit.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 10:34:11 PM »
(This collection omits Apollo 6 and the three Skylab ferry CMs)

Sorry. I should have provided one link up: http://www.spaceychick.com/capsules/index.htm She has Skylab in its own folder.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 10:39:10 PM »
Let's see.. I have seen Apollos 9, 10, 11, 15, 17(?) and Skylab 4. Of the interiors I remember seeing, all were badly cannibalized. Are any intact CMs on display anywhere? We really ought to keep at least one, complete and unused CSM and LM somewhere for the sake of future space historians and engineers.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 10:40:48 PM »
A failed attempt levity. 

I was wondering which capsule is mounted there.  It looks like it was on that had been in orbit. 

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 10:43:32 PM »
Sorry. I should have provided one link up: http://www.spaceychick.com/capsules/index.htm She has Skylab in its own folder.
Thank you! They do seem to follow the pattern of the earth-orbiting CMs having a lot of white paint on the exterior. I'm wondering if that was a design difference in those CSMs built for earth orbit, or if they all had the same exteriors and the higher entry velocities of a lunar re-entry burned away the white paint, except for Apollo 8.

Offline DAKDAK

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 02:34:02 AM »
I do appreciate any time and or energy that anyone on this site spends debating the mysteries of the MOON with me. I am very impressed with the credentials of this sites member's. As you probably can tell from reading my OUTRAGEOUS posts in the wrong format and the wrong place (threads) and posted late at night I am way out of my league debating with you guys and girls. I have really enjoyed reading your replies and frankly I am very surprised I haven't been removed from the site. And that anyone replied to any posts I made at all. I don't really consider myself a Conspiracy Theorist but I do think that the record of the Apollo Program and at least 75 percent of everything I learned in school about space is completely FALSE. I also want to say three years ago when I realized The Apollo Program as we (the public) were told In my opinion is not and was not possible it was one of the most traumatic events in my life (forever changing my concept of reality), and if anyone could convince me that the official Apollo record was even close to true I would be forever indebted. If the Command Module is 400 plus Square feet I am very embarrassed You might have heard the expression “OH THAT GUY IS LOONEY” well that's me according to my friends, family and acquaintances especially my neighbors.  I to believe that I have gone at least a little CRAZY since I started watching and trying to understand the MOON maybe that's because when the moon is filling up I stay up all night on my roof (I cut a door to above the garage) taking pictures and messing with telescopes, cameras binoculars, flashlights and cell phone star and planet charts. Does anyone else on this site other than me think that the moon emits not just a little but an amazing amount of light when it (the MOON) is almost or completely full, and that this light would have absolutely blinded any astronaut on the surface or Spaceship orbiting the MOON!!

[Post restored by LunarOrbit]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:34:24 PM by LunarOrbit »

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 03:13:00 AM »
I have really enjoyed reading your replies and frankly I am very surprised I haven't been removed from the site.

No-one is removed from the site for believing or discussing the hoax theory. As long as you reamin polite and actually engage in the discussion there is no reason to kick you off.

I don't really consider myself a Conspiracy Theorist but I do think that the record of the Apollo Program and at least 75 percent of everything I learned in school about space is completely FALSE.

Those two statements are mutually exclusive. If you do not believe the Apollo record is true then you must by definition believe in some form of conspiracy to spread false information.

I also want to say three years ago when I realized The Apollo Program as we (the public) were told In my opinion is not and was not possible

It is possible. If you actually engage in the discussions people are trying to have with you here you might come to realise that. Do you plan on addressing any of the responses to your other points you raised in your first post?

Does anyone else on this site other than me think that the moon emits not just a little but an amazing amount of light when it (the MOON) is almost or completely full, and that this light would have absolutely blinded any astronaut on the surface or Spaceship orbiting the MOON!!

No, because, as you have already been told, the Moon does not emit any light whatsoever. It reflects sunlight, and that sunlight is no brighter in orbit of the Moon than it is in orbit of Earth, or on a bright summer's day here on Earth. It looks amazingly bright at night because your eyes have adjusted to darkness. In the daylight it is just barely visible in the blue sky. If you don't get blinded by the daytime sky here, and you can only just see the Moon through it, then it is not going to be beyond the ability of your eye to adapt to the same light level when in orbit of, or on the surface of, the Moon.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline DataCable

• Earth
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 03:42:31 AM »
I am very impressed with the credentials of this sites member's.
"site's members."

...I do think that the record of the Apollo Program and at least 75 percent of everything I learned in school about space is completely FALSE.
Why?

... three years ago when I realized The Apollo Program as we (the public) were told In my opinion is not and was not possible...
What evidence led you to this realization?

...when the moon is filling up...
Do you mean to say "as the moon is approaching the phase we call full moon?"

Does anyone else on this site other than me think that the moon emits not just a little but an amazing amount of light when it (the MOON) is almost or completely full...
It is a documented fact that the moon reflects proportionally more sunlight at full moon than at partial phases, largely because of the nature of its surface.  It tends to preferentially reflect light back in the direction from which it approached, rather than randomly scattering it, so a full moon is measurably more than twice as bright as a half moon.

...and that this light would have absolutely blinded any astronaut on the surface or Spaceship orbiting the MOON!!
The earth, as seen from the distance of the moon, is brighter than the moon is as seen from earth.  Are you blinded by earthlight?
Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 07:17:42 AM »
I am very impressed with the credentials of this sites member's.
Many (most) of us have no "credentials" at all.  We are merely interested in the topic and have applied ourselves to learning.  However we do have some real rocket scientists. 
I have really enjoyed reading your replies and frankly I am very surprised I haven't been removed from the site. And that anyone replied to any posts I made at all.
  We are here to discuss moon hoax ideas and you contribution is welcomed.  It can get very quite here when no hoax believers are posting. 

I don't really consider myself a Conspiracy Theorist but I do think that the record of the Apollo Program and at least 75 percent of everything I learned in school about space is completely FALSE.

Fair enough, you seem basically to doubt the reality of what you have been told rather than to be promoting some alternate idea about the Apollo program.  Doubts can be erased through gaining knowledge, if you  are willing to learn.  Saying that you doubt "at least 75 percent" implies that there is some part of the record that you accept or at least have fewer doubts about.  Can you elaborate on the 25%?

I to believe that I have gone at least a little CRAZY since I started watching and trying to understand the MOON....
Have you done further investigations to determine the validity of this hypothesis?

Does anyone else on this site other than me think that the moon emits not just a little but an amazing amount of light when it (the MOON) is almost or completely full, and that this light would have absolutely blinded any astronaut on the surface or Spaceship orbiting the MOON!!

No.  Several of us have made explanations of why this is wrong, which you evidently do not accept.  Perhaps if you elaborate on how you came to this belief, we could be more informative.   For instance where do you think the light we see from the moon actually originates?  From the moon? From the sun? Elsewhere?

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 07:37:23 AM »
Bit bemused by this business on the moon emitting light, DAKDAK. Can you explain the phases of the Moon and what happens at a new Moon?