Author Topic: Dan Goldin comment  (Read 59683 times)

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
Dan Goldin comment
« on: April 11, 2012, 04:24:21 PM »
I will support this forum, saying that you guys bend over backward to try to explain the science behind the space program and have demonstrated an extreme range of knowledge concerning Apollo space program!

In not wanting to be knocked out, with out further investigation on my part, what did Goldin mean by the following statement?

"Dan Goldin when interviewed by UK TV journalist Sheena McDonald in 1994.  He said that mankind cannot venture beyond Earth orbit, 250 miles into space, until they can find a way to overcome the dangers of cosmic radiation."

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
Re: Dan Goldin comment
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 04:50:41 PM »
Whenever that quote is made it is always ripped from its context. By the time of Goldin's interview, missions beyond Earth orbit were planned that included long term lunar missions, trips to Mars and so on. All missions that would last far longer than Apollo. In terms of radiation exposure, duration is a key factor. Rather like walking to the corner shop in a light shower and getting a little damp, or doing a 10 mile hike in the same light rain and getting soaked through to the skin, a short trip of a few days in the radiation beyond the van Allen belt is harmless, but several months out there may be lethal.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline stutefish

• Mercury
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »
In not wanting to be knocked out, with out further investigation on my part, what did Goldin mean by the following statement?

"Dan Goldin when interviewed by UK TV journalist Sheena McDonald in 1994.  He said that mankind cannot venture beyond Earth orbit, 250 miles into space, until they can find a way to overcome the dangers of cosmic radiation."

Goldin is completely correct: If you want to go into space, you have to find a way to overcome the dangers of cosmic radiation. Apollo found a way: keep the missions short.

If you don't want to keep the missions short, you have to find another way. Goldin is completely correct.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:06:16 PM »
Profmunkin, why do you always hijack existing threads rather than start a new one? It's not that hard to do, you know. Do I have to place you under moderation again?
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline DataCable

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »
Out of curiosity, prof, when and where did you see this interview?  Or have you actually seen it at all?
Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+

Offline carpediem

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 02:11:24 AM »
Profmunkin, why do you always hijack existing threads rather than start a new one? It's not that hard to do, you know. Do I have to place you under moderation again?

Oddly enough the last time this came up, it was also placed in another thread about Cosmic Dave: http://apollohoax.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=theories&thread=1145&page=2#34766

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 07:24:12 AM »
I will support this forum, saying that you guys bend over backward to try to explain the science behind the space program and have demonstrated an extreme range of knowledge concerning Apollo space program!

It is interesting that this "quote" is not a quote of Dan Goldin, but a quote of Cosmic Dave asserting that Goldin said this.  So the first task for you is to show us a quote of Goldin actually saying this because when you say, "what did Goldin mean by the following statement," there is no actual statement by Goldin to discuss.  Until then, anyone is free to dismiss this for a complete lack of a reliable source. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline carpediem

• Venus
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 08:10:25 AM »
It is interesting that this "quote" is not a quote of Dan Goldin, but a quote of Cosmic Dave asserting that Goldin said this.  So the first task for you is to show us a quote of Goldin actually saying this because when you say, "what did Goldin mean by the following statement," there is no actual statement by Goldin to discuss.  Until then, anyone is free to dismiss this for a complete lack of a reliable source.
Where Cosmic Dave has used this, he was himself quoting Sam Colby's website:
http://www.soviet-empire.com/ussr/viewtopic.php?p=822017#p822017

And they banned him of course. Amusingly given the Soviet theme his profile now says he is an 'Unperson'.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:29:27 AM by carpediem »

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »

And they banned him of course. Amusingly given the Soviet theme his profile now says he is an 'Unperson'.

Tracing the history of a "quote" in conspiracy land is like following the genealogy of the characters in a Tolstoy novel.   Profmunkin, can you provide a original source for Goldin's statement?
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 10:01:57 AM »

I believe it is customary for that name to be followed by a scream.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »

Even if he said that I would wager the source did not expound on the definition of "danger". No doubt in the source's mind it means if someone goes above 250 miles they are instantly fried to a crisp.

For a mission to Mars "danger" means the astronauts would have a slightly elevated risk of getting cancer.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 12:31:55 AM »
In not wanting to be knocked out, with out further investigation on my part
???  Why did you say that?  Why didn't you just DO the required investigation?

what did Goldin mean by the following statement?
Ah, I think I just answered the questions above...

It's pretty obvious that this is probably NOT an actual Dan Goldin quote, but is in fact someone's interpretation of one.

So may I add to the call of others, with a formal request that you answer at least the first of these questions:

1. Where can a transcript or recording (video or audio is fine) of the full quote and surrounding context be found?

If your answer to that is "I don't know", then:

2. Why did you not try to find it before accepting it as a 'factual quote'?

3. Who is the person who initially made the interpretation?

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 10:04:28 PM »
I did not start this thread, Lunarorbit moved my post and started this thread after I posted a question concerning anoter post that had Dan Goldin's comment about not being able to go farther than 250 miles into space.
I have not seen the Dan Goldin interview.
My question was answered thankyou.

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 10:09:06 PM »
The knocked out comment was a take off on someone elses post.
With out being attached to the original thread / post it does not make sense.
But what it means is I didn't really care, I was just mildly curious and was not going to put any effort to determine what Mr. Goldin said or didn't say.

Seriously I have no questions concerning space travel or if we can or can't go beyond 250 miles.
There does not seem to be any nation that is going to attempt it any time soon.

Again this is not my thread, it just happens to have my name attached
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:17:14 PM by profmunkin »

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 10:21:05 PM »
Your post about Dan Goldin's (alleged) comment had absolutely nothing to do with the thread you posted it in originally (show me where someone mentioned Dan Goldin anywhere in this forum before you did). Your post was off topic so I moved it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:25:43 PM by LunarOrbit »
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)